Attention Experienced Golfers (few questions from a rookie)

Well… X = score

you + shitty clubs = X

You + High end clubs = X *.95

High end clubs are well made, and ARE better. just because someone sucks at playing with them doesn’t mean someone else should take the same crappy route as you

No one that can shoot an legitimate 68 one day (meaning, they’re not lying to you) will shoot a 115 the next unless they were run over by a car right before teeing off.

The rest of your points are dead on though. Putting and short game are what cost you the most on your score card. Improve your short game and watch your score drop drastically.

me: omg! 68 to 115
DOES NOT HAPPEN
Sent at 3:25 PM on Thursday

OMG I totally said that exact same thing. Boxxa exagerates DUH! regardless 68 on a saturday is no joke

That’s because most other people with high-end equipment are trying to buy their game. It doesn’t correlate to solid swing mechanics.

Good players require high-end eqipment because they care about things that the average or beginner player wouldn’t - lie angle, kick point, trajectories, tip torrque, bounce, shaft weight, etc. (nohomo) Also the TYPE of equipment a good player uses is different - blades vs. cavity-back, drivers/balls with less spin to shape shots, etc. These are all things beginners aren’t concerned with, strengthening the case that as your swing gets better, the equipment matters more and more.

Edit: Also, if you have equpiment that simply doesn’t fit your swing, it’s an extremely uphill battle. Get fitted by someone who knows what they’re doing.

Edit this to *.99 and I’ll agree. I’m also not comparing 1970s technology to todays either. Give Tiger a set of $199 Slazengers from Dicks and watch him still shoot a 67.

I’m not saying this stuff doesn’t matter. Believe me, I know, it does. But for 98% of golfers out there it doesn’t, especially a beginner.

Agreed.

Well doubtful that tiger would shoot a 67 with dicks clubs when there are about 85 factors that he would have to get use to the club, slow down his swing, do a backflip, and etc etc. Not something you can just be like here, play golf.

Well, I’m not sure what you meant by the clubs you have, it sounds like your clubs are like a dunlop set thats 5 years old. You probably said what you have already and i don’t care to read back into it.

But. New clubs have improved greatly, I find myself well behind the curve with my set. Example, perfect hit with my driver = 240, with a nice gentle swing making sure everything is in line.

With a newer driver same swing thats going to put me at 250-255. That extra 15 yards is going to take me from my 165 (mediocre at best at) to 150 in (I excell at).

That 150 will be on the green and 2 putt in. Where as the 165 is going to need a chip and hopefully a 1 putt, but maybe not. Just doing that on 2 or 3 holes… puts me at an 80 instead of a 77. 2.5% - 5% difference

I agree. I had a two different sets of clubs. With a solid swing, I can hit the expensive clubs 10-15 yards further. Even had to redistance my clubs becuase of it. Also, I got my new high end driver and I hit that almost 30 yards further consistently than my older one.

Technology does make a different but you still gotta know how to swing and play. No wonder club will make you a good golfer. If you are shooting 100, hitting a driver an extra 30 yards isnt gonna lower your score as much as practicing putting and your irons.

Also, if you are one of hte people that wind up on the tee and launch their driver 250 yards into the trees, a new driver is just gonna put you 30 yards further into them.

Instead of any of the suggestions, you can do what my friends and I do.

“The 5 Iron Challenge”

Play 9 holes with ONLY the 5 iron. From the Tee all the way to putting…

Surprising, we can actually get par a lot with just that one club! And, you don’t have to cart around that damned bag! grab a few extra balls and toss em in your pockets, and you’re all set!

:slight_smile:

Where do you hide the beer then? :walter:

edit: Lots of surprisingly good advice in this thread, with legitimate discussion. I’m almost remorseful for taking it moderately offtopic.

i prefer an 8 iron…lol

im fairly confident i could shoot almost as well with just an 8 iron… and putter… never actually tried it…

but you figure like… 170 yds for an 8… and no course around here is that long

Don’t listen to these asshats saying, “don’t use a driver.”
That’s like saying, “Don’t drink beer when you golf.”
On average you are only going to take about 12-14 driver shots anyway so why not use it?
You need to learn every club and drink beer.

A good drive is what keeps you coming back.

actually you DONT need a driver to play well…

yes you SHOULD learn it, because if you get it down it will make the rest of you life easier on the course, but no its NOT necessary. a driver isn’t easy for everyone to hit… but in order to get the fundamentals down, you need to learn a proper swing, which with it should come the driver.

This is the dumbest fucking thing ever. With a driver he is going to put in the fucking trees, and not actually take any normal shots other than recovery shot after recovery shot.

Why not use it, shut up, if you knew how to golf you would know how dumb of a fucking statement that really is.

Here is an idea, sit at the driving range for hours and only practice driving the long ball, 300 yards or you suck. :rolljerk:

-karma for being an idiot.

I hit my driver 300. It turns heads in tournaments and stuff but mostly becuase I hit it straight consistently. If someone new winds up with a driver trying to hit it 300, they are going in the woods 9 times out of 10. That is frustrating for a new golfer. They need to learn proper mechanics and putting to get consistent from 200 and in versus hitting a ball 50 extra yards off a tee.

Exaggerated example but:

450 yard hole
I hit 8 iron 150, you hit driver 250 in to the trees
I hit 8 iron two more times accurate and am putting for par. You wack your ball out of the trees (if you can find it), then take your shot at the green maybe another 250 yards assuming you cant get a clear shot out of the trees and you are even chipping onto the green for par.

Accurate irons win scores. Not hitting a driver 250 yards off the tee.

I hit 350-375 then I punch it out and hole it.:slight_smile:

After every stroke I fist pump the air.

exactly… i just started playing again this year.

i play about once every 1-1.5 weeks. i’ve been AVERAGING 310yds straight off the tee. usually anywhere from 290-340. yet i STUGGLE to hit or break 40 for 9.

its because my short game is relatively SHITTY lately. i lost my touch.

50+% of the game is on or around the green. you hit the green or around it in reg, which i usually do, in theory you should par it or better easily. i havent shot even because my short game is iffy this year.

I didn’t read the replies but

1. Buy a used set, there is no need for a new set as a beginner. As you get better and have consistency in your game you can upgrade your clubs with your skill. Just get a decent set of used cavity backs that fit you.

2. Take a lesson, don’t learn by doing, you’ll pick up too many bad habits that will be too hard to unlearn.