Golfers huddle around v. help me shop for a driver

I am looking for a driver

I am getting back into golfing and looking for proper equipment. I have a decent swing, but it’s not great and not consistent.

I tried a friend’s TaylorMade Burner 10.5* a few weeks ago. It was awesome, REALLY crushed a few drives. Seemed like no matter where I hit the ball, it was getting out there(not necessarily straight).

So, I am trying to upgrade from 10 year old women’s clubs. I bought a used set of Callaway X18 irons. Now I am needing a driver and fairway woods.

I really was not trying to spend $150+ on just a driver…Otherwise, I think I will just buy the 10.5* Burner since I think I can adjust my swing to it.

Anything that you guys recommend me look at?

I build my own woods, though a lot of people like to argue they’re not as good since they don’t cost $500 and have a big corporate name behind them…

http://www.golfworks.com/

Most of the 460cc titanium cheap drivers will give you nearly the performance of the more expensive club. They can be had for <$50. If you have a golf galaxy near you, go swing a couple of the cheap ones in the simulator and see what works for you…

i have a BRAND NEW in plastic TAYLOR MADE… graffaloy stiff shaft, 8.5*…

make me an offer… a cheap driver will not give you the same performance… ill have pictures in a second here

Go get fit, it will be best for you and your game

the tape is on there because a friend wanted to try it at the range and i didnt want him to put any idiot marks on it. when i was taking it off, it started to take the plastic with it, so i had to keep some of it on… it is a nice driver, however, i have no reason to keep it since i won it having the long drive with my current driver at an outing for work … :lol:

Shaft choice is just as (if not more) important than head choice.

(nohomo)

Looks really nice. 8.5 might be nasty for an inconsistent swing though…smoking them 100 yards through the grass where 10.5 would get you in the air and on the fairway

http://www.golfsmith.com/browse.php?lcode=expps&N=0&Ntt=Titleist+907&image.x=0&image.y=0&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchall&Ntk=All&tcode=GOOGLE&cm_mmc=Google--Pro+Shop--Titleist+907+Drivers--titleist+907d1|-|100000000000000207818&cm_guid=1--100000000000000207818-_-2069487636&gclid=CIG0tI2DvZwCFSUsawoddyZpNg

^ completely true

Won’t go into the whole name brand clubs vs no-name clubs argument. Just that I enjoy out driving people with expensive drivers with my $60 steel shafted Golfsmith driver.

i hit this particular club pretty high for an 8.5*… then again i dont know what kinda golfer you are. for those that don’t know, Grafalloy is one of the better aftermarket shafts out there…

anyways, if you’re interested shoot me an offer. it’s just collecting dust here

I am in the same boat for you, having a smaller angle is tough if your swing is inconsistent, I personally have decided not to use a driver anymore for now… Instead, I am swinging an Adams Tight Lies 5 Wood – 22 degree angle, straight off the teebox, does not provide the same distance as the driver (have had 295 max vs. 320 max, when connected right), but it is consistently straighter :tup:

turbo ls1 ss, I think that I would prefer to go for the 10.5…I hit a 10.5 REALLY well when I was used it. I do appreciate the offer though.

Ok, forgot to mention, I have a pretty slow swing I think.

You should really hit them, some of the newer clubs fly pretty well even with low lofts. I had an older (ie: 1980’s era) 9.5* that I couldn’t ever get more than 6" off the ground. I now have a new style (toaster over as I call them) 400cc+ driver that’s 9.5* and I hit it higher than my 3 wood.

Slower swing, stay with regular flex shaft, possibly even a senior flex if your swing is very slow.

Oh, and 225 yards and in the fairway > 290 yards and out of bounds :slight_smile:

Maybe I will go to golfsmith and try one

What do you guys think of this club?
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-NIKE-GOLF-NIKE-SQ-SUMO-5000-10-5-460cc-DRIVER-REG_W0QQitemZ230370930041QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGolf_Clubs?hash=item35a32d6d79&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I’d check out Dicks, they usually have sales (especially now end of the year) on clubs that aren’t always advertised in the weekly flier.

Also Golf Galaxy I think its called (over on Transit near Genesee). Never been there, but hear they have alot of last year model clubs that are cheap.

It doesn’t make sense to buy a brand-name golf club from anywhere but eBay. You just need to find the legit auctions.

Edit: Twom, you just gotta go out and hit some options, go home and snipe on ebay. I just picked up a 906F used by a pro for like 2 rounds for $65 shipped, there are deals to be had out there. The auction had really good macro pics of everything, so it’s easy to tell if the club was in the shape he claimed it was.

I have that driver but it just sits around as I play the Titleist 907D that I have and prefer. However for someone with a slower swing and maybe not the best ball control I really do like the club. I approve

Dick’s has the same club…for $29 more plus tax

Maybe you have never used one…but how do you think it would stack up to the Taylor Made Burner?