Attention Photography people

im going to be buying a camera in the next coupple days. I am looking between the Olympus SP500 and the Olympus Evolt E500. basically what i’m looking for is somethng that i can put some different lenses and filters on. I’m sort of new at photography, so i want something that is going to be a good camera to ‘learn’ with but I also want something that i can keep on using for a while- basically i don’t want to get a camera that i’m going “outgrow” in a year. There is a pretty good price difference between the 2 models, but I thats not really an issue…if it requires spending the extra money to go with the Evolt E500, than i will. Alos, are there any good stores around Buffalo that would have these cameras that I can go and talk to someone who knows what they’re talking about? I would probably like to get some lenses and filters at the time when I purchase the camera as well. thanks for any advice!

Olympus SP500
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1189

Olympus Evolt E500
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1192

If you want to put different lenses/filters on and learn photography. Dont waste your money on Olympus. Go pick up a cheaper Nikon like the D50.

i will look into that.

:word: that is exactly what I did, I love my D50

What he said. Definatly buy an SLR and stay away from a Fixed EVF camera. I’d personally go with the Canon Rebel XT. Its a great entry level D-SLR and in the same price range as the D50. I’ve used both of them and i find the Canon easier to use if you’re just starting out. Plus its an 8 megapixel camera so thats plenty to work with. If you really get into photography, make it a point to get into film. Its much better than digital IMO.

just out of curiosity, why is everyone saying to stay away from the Olympus? i always heard good things about them.

They arent horrible…but for the price you can get MUCH better.

Because when it comes to optics,and being a company dedicated to photography they arent shit. Would you buy a Mitsubishi TV? I dont think so!

are there any good camera shops around Buffalo i can check out? i really would like to NOT buy this online if i dont have to.

I dont know about Buffalo, but Rowe photo in Rochester is a good place.

im headed out to the Rochester area on friday…i’ll have to look them up before i go and see if its anywere new awhere im going.

My dad picked up my moms d50 at a camera shop on transit in that little strip mall across from the mall, will have to get the name

pm sent…

CameraSpot.com, Inc.
c/o Delaware Camera
2635 Delaware Avenue
Suites C and D
Buffalo, NY 14216

try them I get my lenses from them even down here

the rebel xt is a great camera very user friendly, tons of opions with lenses. We just got a 30D the other day that camera is the jam.

edit: stick with cannon or nikon.

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17265&highlight=rebel

:snky:

ya the xti is a really nice camera too. the xti is the step between xt and 30D?

cannon or nikon FTW!`

nikon d50 was great, im currently shooting the d70 and love nikon cameras, ive had many point and shoot canon/nikons and nikon has truly been my fav thus far

plus u can get a nice d50 either refurb or used on ebay for like 400-450. or brand new for 550

i got the Canon Rebel XT for a gift today, and ive been messing around with it a little and its great! im waiting for the battery to charge now lol. but it seems like it is very straight forward and easy to use and so far i give it a :tup: