Audi A6 2.7 TT Head Gasket advice

[FONT=Helv][SIZE=2]Guy says the turbos are shot. They dont make any noise, seems fine to me when idle and throughout RPM. But blowing shit load of white smoke that smells like coolant. We didnt keep the car on long enough to see if it would overheat but im thinking head gaskets. The oil is not milky.

How bad are they to change? Seems like it will take some time and a lot of crap needs to be pulled out in order to get to them.

Any experience here? How long did it take? How much is the job worth? Any PITAs I should be looking forward to?
[/SIZE][/FONT]

I’m thinking this might be one of those Audi jobs where you either pull the front clip or drop out the engine…never done one though so audi guys chime in!

The turbo seals could be blown…you should ask that bracketracer at black forest. He knows euros

Ya call and talk to Jason at blackforest he knows the TTV6 (he owns atleast 2) but I belive you have to pull the motor to do just about anything on that car. its not too hard just takes time, Sobo on here did it, Justin on here did it, even Psycopjv has done it.

I had to replace the engine in my S4. To me it seems like it would be easier to remove the whole engine and do it. Also Audi uses Oetiker clamps on their small hoses. Buy a bunch of small hose clamps if you don’t have one of those clamp kits.

You’d have to pull the engine, then all the miscellaneous crap on top of/behind the motor has to come off. there’s a lot of “spiderwebs” goin on there. Its certainly not easy, but its not really the worst job in the world either. Expect it to take 2 full weekends or so if its your first time.

Just bring it to blackforest.

yeah, i would buy new turbos at the same time depending on milage, pulling a 2.7tt is one job i would never want to do twice

damnit

i dont want someones car in my garage for 2 weekends. i dont wanna work on it like that. i was hoping pull everything off the motor one day, next day new gaskets and put it back together.

please explain how the turbo seals would cause white smoke that smells like coolant. also the guy said he paid someone else to replace the turbos already

The turbos are water cooled. I also think you might need a special tool for the head bolts.

watercooled turbos, spraying coolant into the exhaust stream. headgaskets aren’t very typical, possible~~~ but very unlikely. blown turbos are very very common, 30 hour billable job for factory turbo replacement. for head gaskets, to remove the heads you have to remove the turbos from the manifolds, to do so requires removal of the turbos which requires removal of the engine. kids pull them out the front on the forums but it’s a bigger PITA, pull the whole boat F-body style with the spindles and subframe intact.

omg 30 hours billable!?!? whats that like 4g in labor and parts at the dealer, FML