audi A8 W12 dyno results

Went to innovative yesterday to make sure the engine is healthy on my W12. It has 84K on it and had a missfire when I bought it. from the looks of the graph I would say it is running 100%. The bad thing now is I have the itch to start messing with it. If I had lift access for a weekend I would pop the engine out and pull all 8 cats out delete the resonator, and check the air boxes to see if they are restrictive and get a good tune on it to see what I can pull out of it.

factory ratings are 450hp/428tq unitronic has a tune that has a rated gain of 29hp/28tq. I bet a custom tune and the removal of 8 cats and a resonator would be substantial. With that said the car is a monster so I will probably not do anything to it for the sake of preserving resale value.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23031[/ATTACH]

Heaterz in style…

8 cats?

FUCK. THAT.

yet another reason to add to “why i dont like audi”

nice numbers for a DD though :tup:

yeah 8 cats?

keep the stock exhaust for resale and build a man-exhaust to unleash an easy 80AWHP

the kind of person dropping the coin for a new A8 with a W12 generally wants something QUIET

1 Z, no cats.

What caused that missfire? Fuck pulling that engine apart… I went to W12 school.

that is what caused it. $50 for a new lash adjuster and rocker.

the kind of person dropping the coin for a new A8 with a W12 generally wants something QUIET

I was being childish in a parking garage and this thing is SILENT!!!

There is a school for W12’s? It really does not seem any worse to work on than anything else I have tackled… I have not had to pull it out yet though… I am fucked. for me to even say that you know I have the wrong vehicle lineup in my life. B5 S4, touareg V10 TDI, a8 W12 and a camaro with a taurus engine in it.

anyway. To pull the 4 pre cats the engine has to come out, and I don’t plan on doing that unless I have to. I may pull out the downstream ones when I have spare time to see if it makes a difference. It would be nice if I could puck up the mpg a bit. I think I need to put a block under the backside of the quiet pedal to do that though.

With all the platinum in those cats… the removal process would pay for Itself!

depends how many plastic hoses break in the process. if you have worked on a vag then you know what i’m talking about

edit: could you imagine the repair bill if it had a catalyst efficiency below threshold code and it was taken to the dealer?

I bet you a pair of those costs more than most of the cars on NYSpeed. I doubt the dealer would install O2 spacers.

Was a master tech, 2 classes short of master guild. Went to D3 A8 & W12 before I knocked that shit off.

I like working on this weird shit. My next car will be a 86 taurus MT5.

I would absolutely 100% not remove the cats on that thing. You got it running, no mis fires, drive it and do not look to unnecessarily open Pandoras box.

Jesus, what a nightmare, makes VR4 engine bays seem appealing

I’m too bitter, lol. Friend had a 2 door tempo 5 speed coupe, I guess they’re cool, 10-15 years ago?

with the help of a friend I removed the exhaust today. turns out the car only has 4 cats at the manifolds. then (4) 1 3/4" pipes to a resonator to 2 (2) 2 1/4" pipes to another resonator to (2) 2 1/2- 2 3/4" pipes to 2 mufflers. we unbolted the exhaust behind the first resonator and I have to say. It has the worst fucking exhaust note I have ever herd! it is fucking horrible. The car is completely miserable to drive right now. Now I know why audi made this engine completely silent. :tdown:

Lol thats funny to hear^. Spend your time just making sure its properly maintained, don’t fuck with it. Waste money on a baller set of wheels and look like a :pimp:

Because most A8 owners don’t do mods people with 88 IROCs enjoy doing.

Post a sound clip! I want to hear. You’ll probably have better performance results with some nice mufflers over all the cats and resonators.

https://youtu.be/EDYD0RFdSD4

https://youtu.be/du1kSPv5AeA

I just got my ECU back from getting it remapped and the butt dyno says there is a pretty noticeable change in the top rpm range. I will be sending some logs back to the tuner to make sure the engine is happy with the changes. I am also looking into having the TCU modified to increase shiftpoints by at least 1K and trying ot get rid of the horribly slow shift programing from the factory. Once the tuner is happy with the loggs I will return to the dyno for some more number to see if my butt dyno is accurate.