Audi guys... need some advice

My buddies 2006 A4 had a CEL so I said I’d scan it for him. P0304, cyl 4 misfire. With 140k miles I told him it’s almost certainly a coil pack and we could try swapping the #4 with the #1 and see if the code follows.

That was the easy part. As I’m looking at the engine to see how easy/hard the coil packs are to get to I notice the following leak at the rear of the engine:

So I start looking more and this is what I see around the driver’s side axle.

Any Audi guys have some likely sources for that leak? I told him the coil pack is something we can do but I’ll be sending him over to @bracketracer for the leak.

i had a similar leak on my 99 audi a4 with the AEB 1.8t. it was the o-ring for the rear coolant flange

very common thing to go bad on the 1.8t and 2.0t engines, hope this helps.

tell your friend to just replace the whole flange 40-70 dollar part on http://www.ecstuning.com/

yup. Jason @blackforest can certainly help as well. Such a good dude that helped me many a time with my 98 a4

Dont do this.

you can go to advanced auto parts and buy it for 7 bucks.

Is it leaking oil or coolant?

It looked like oil. I’ll look at it closer tomorrow night when we swap the coils.

Is the car a v6? to me it looks like the cam tensioner gasket.

2.0 turbo

If the coilpack is not the solution then it could be a direct injector or even carbon build up. I replaced my cyl 4 injector this year and did a carbon cleaning while I was in there as you have to take the entire intake mani off to change an injector, fun stuff.

As for the oil leak on the back of the motor, there is PCV stuff back there, a cam chain cover and could even be the valve cover if its blown out or the PCV system has failed. Hard to pinpoint with out looking at it or cleaning then monitoring it I guess.

Possible vacuum pump seal also

I would also assume you have a vacuum pump seal leak. That’s what is covered in oil in the picture.

We swapped the coils, cleared the code and went for a quick drive. Code jumped to cyl #1 so bad coil confirmed. He’s going to pick one up tonight and we’ll fix it tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions on the leak. Going to let Black Forest handle that one.

Good to hear, easy fix :tup:

Has anyone changed the camfollower on that car yet with 140K on it?

I doubt he knows but I’ll ask. Something that should have been done I take it?

on a 2.0t yea it should be done.

pretty painless repair too

Yeah, it should be

this is the part (don’t pay attention to the mileage in the pic I have been changing mine at 40K intervals since I am also on the stock hpfp still).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32119[/ATTACH]

its only a $50 part and can be changed in under 30 minutes. But can take out the cam, hpfp etc… if it wears out.

Get someone to check on it if it has never been done.

Well when he got the car @40k the dealer had just put a new camshaft in (my guess is because of this problem) and it doesn’t sound like it’s been done since. I told him to add it to the list when he brings it in for the leak. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, pretty easy check, and I do keep them in stock.

Thanks again, Jay.

First rule of auto repair. Never estimate how long a job will take. LOL