Audi guys....step in

Thinking about getting a used Audi S4.

Any obvious things I should look for? Common issues with these cars?

Maintenance… what should I keep in mind when looking in the 40k-68k mile range? Any expensive maintenance schedules to consider?

I read that the S4 has a timing chain located in the back of the engine that doesn’t need to be changed.

I also read that a few issues that some have seen are bad cam adjusters, chain tensioners, and broken/ worn chain guides.

Thanks in advanced,

Jarrod

which generation / motor?

Not sure. 2004 and up. B6? The newer models have a B7 correct? Don’t really know too much about these.

Have you seen this? http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.php?165455-2004-audi-s4

I did. I want something with lower mileage. Thank you though

Love mine.

They get 20mpg averageish.

There has been documentation of some timing chain issues but as with anything, car forums are for discussing problems, not how reliable your car has been.

Mine runs great, needs nothing and is a perfect DD.

They are NOT fast.

Yea I found a good write up on another forum. I’m looking for more of a DD.

I’d stay away… horrible MPGs, very front heavy, not very fast, not fun to drive. go bmw or benz if you want a V8. (E39 M5, newer 545 etc, E55).

I’ve driven a few of these S4 and can’t understand why people want them.

Ever thought about an E90/E92 3 series with X-Drive? or maybe even a 335 depending on your budget maximum?

Well I did think about getting rid of my Evo and my truck and get a used E90, e92 M3 but insurance is expensive and i hate car payments… Plus not a car i want to DD in the snow. I’m still having fun with the Evo… As of right now i don’t plan on selling it. I’m also thinking about a used Touareg. I really don’t want a car payment past 3 years. I was looking online and a 2004 S4 caught my eye I wanted to take a look at. I think if I test drove a 335xi I’d be hooked but it seems like everyone on here is going that route.

Because they rock.

I bet if somebody even traded you an E55 or M5 you’d take it. :slight_smile:

honestly aside from fuel milage i much prefered my s4 daily driver to my m3.

notice that wasn’t on my list. :slight_smile: I know 3 competes with 4, but not in this case really. M3 are a little too hardcore for a solid comfy fast daily.

S4 V8’s are so incredibly slow. It’s hysterical. I remember racing a friend’s in my e39 M5… I did not really need to downshift. Sad thing too, he paid more for his S4 than I paid for my M5.

Slightly older m3 also.

Compared to your current e46?

yeah by 3 years but an 05 is still an e46 chassis and no matter what still to me isnt as comfortable as the audi

correct

I owned an E55.

Great car.

The benefit to the audi though is that it’s easier to maintain and work on. Why? Because Vag com is readily available. Star diagnostics is MB dealer only. Yes, the car has a big engine shoe-horned into a tiny engine bay but besides that it’s not all that bad.

When you have a turbo ls3 rx7 in your life, speed becomes a significantly less important point. The audi is practical, cheap, bullet proof, uber comfy and makes cool v8 noises. It’s peppy which is okay for what I do with it. Drive to work and to the store.

Test drove an 2004 S4 over the weekend. I wasn’t impressed and yet wasn’t disappointed at the same time. Had enough pick up but was yearning for a bit more from the V8. Looking at the car from the outside it seemed a tad bigger then it actually was once I got inside. To be honest I didn’t consider the car because the price just didn’t do it for me and the interior should of been in mint condition for the asking price. However, the body was in great condition (TX and MO car). Mechanically I did just a minor look over and didn’t see anything wrong. I did notice a weird sound coming from the passenger side when reeving up to 3k rpm’s while the car was in neutral.

I also felt a lot like I was in my Evo with the Recaro seats and AWD.