Audi People - Problem 1 with my A4 1.8T

hope you make it. you are on borrowed time. not so much the idler that goes bad. you will hear a bearing whine when it goes, but honestly they rarely go bad can usually run the oem idler to 120k, or the 2nd belt change if doing them at 60k.

waterpumps fail before idlers. had metal pumps die at 60k, plastic ones are hit and miss before the blades fall off–my feeling is coolant integrity may play a roll in this.

it is the belt itself that is the main concern. seldom do they snap while running. it is when you hit the key to start. a weak belt plus the starter hitting= sheared teeth at the crank.

hope you make it. you are on borrowed time. not so much the idler that goes bad. you will hear a bearing whine when it goes, but honestly they rarely go bad can usually run the oem idler to 120k, or the 2nd belt change if doing them at 60k.

waterpumps fail before idlers. had metal pumps die at 60k, plastic ones are hit and miss before the blades fall off–my feeling is coolant integrity may play a roll in this.

it is the belt itself that is the main concern. seldom do they snap while running. it is when you hit the key to start. a weak belt plus the starter hitting= sheared teeth at the crank.