Auto to Standard

Hey everyone, I am new here and I am looking to buy a '91 240 SX and I may have found one, then only thing it that it is an automatic. My question is approximatly how much would it cost in parts to switch to a standard and is there anyone in the niagara region that would like to help me make the conversion?

You can get all the parts, including a new clutch, for under a $1000. I’ve heard good things about canadiandrifter240sx. Lith on the board went to him for his swap and had only positive things to say. I will be trying to do the swap myself, hopefully before spring. Good luck.

$1000 including parts if you want the swap.

I dont know about 1000 $ , I would say it’s more like 600 $ if you can do the work yourself ( come on , you must have friends ).
It’s not hard but takes lots of time .

How confortable are you that you and your friends could do a professional job?
$400 more doesn’t sound like that much more, now does it?

call up any reputable shop, ask for a quote. $1000 will seem like gold. That includes stuff like a re-surfaced flywheel and a guarentee on the syncros. Not squirrelly bootleg driveway work.

no one like a squirly transmission

Great intoduction! Aaaaaaaaand here comes the Locked! :thumright:

@ a $1000 (which is fair)

I would say live with the auto, till you go SR, seeing as how you posted no intro, you probably read in some mag that SR = dorifto = cool status

and you planned that route anyway…

Buy a members car… theres pages of them…

I don’t want to use it for drifting, I just like the car and I like driving standard

^^^^^

welcome to SON.

Whether you want to use your car for drifting, dragging, driving, or even artistically displaying your collection of Hummel figurines, people will always forget the fact that it is YOUR car to do with as you please.

Fashonistas.

$1,000 for a fresh 5-speed is a pretty decent price considering you’d be lucky to find a shop that would even sell you a tranny for that price.

People sometimes forget exactly how much is involved in this swap.

Tranny, pedals, clutch line, master, mount, driveshaft (sometimes)

Doing it with junkyard/ebay/classsified used parts can be done cheaper, but you’ll probably end up spending what you saved and more when you find out the slave leaks, the tranny grinds, the clutch is toast, the flywheel eats your new clutch, etc.

If you have the ability to do it yourself, do it yourself. If you don’t, it’s best to find someone that has a good reputation not only for their work, but also for their support after the install.

Check your PM’s I know where you can get all the parts you need and it’s fairly local to you. We are talking about a s13 chassis right?

I also have 3 5speed trany’s for sale.