Automotive Technicians step in......

I recently started at west herr and iv been pondering the thought of moving to sales in the near future. As i was sitting at dinner tonight, i though to myself how much the industry for new cars sucks right now and how i dont want to, not sell any cars.

My question is this, will the dealership offer to pay for part/all of my tuition if i was to take classes to be certified for a tech job? who on here has done that and where? I know this is probably a question for my boss/owner, but i figured i would see how im going to approach the subject first. thanks guys, post away.

West herr is probably your best bet to get your foot in the door with, in regards to having them pay for your schooling. When I went to MCC they made us intern at a dealer, and west herr basically told me they would reimburse me for my schooling if I finished the course satisfactorily and would be with them for at least 2 years after my schooling.

GL

whats mcc?

Monroe community college

did you end up taking the class there? i was thinking of just going to ecc, but i dont know how far that would take me. im sure there are alot of people who have taken the class there, anyone here?

what do you currently do at work?

detailer, i did it at buffalo rv for a while. easy work, really cant beat the money. my original plan was to get my foot in the door and move up to sales, but its just not me. my brothers a salesman and hes good at it, but hes stressed out all the time.

i would love to take classes and increase my automotive knowledge, but i was just wondering what kind of mess im going to get myself into.

ask to be bumped to lube tech and work your way up, thats what im doing

I go to ecc now. It’s pretty good I suppose. Be prepared to deal with alotta redneck retards. YEEHAW LETS GO MUDDIN IN THE FORD TADAY!

well i just started this week, so im going to have to fulfill my detailing spot for the moment. im going to see what they can do for me and im going to look into schooling. the boces program in east aurora offers night classes, but they dont give you shit, except a pat on the back and a better automotive knowledge award.

lol, i live in holland. thats what the yuppies do out here and it aint me. im from south buffalo, i dont get down and dirty in the mud and then go shower with my sister.

no dont go to lube dude thats bs work and ur gonna be stuck there for a while trust me the last guy was and all he did was a few oil changes and took the garbage out and swept floors

why are u in such a rush to move out of detail u have only been there for 2 days lol
go to ecc for auto tech and do the ford program u go to school part of the week and then they send you to the west herr ford store for the other part of the week

im in no rush at all, im just looking at my options. thats why i said im going to work detail for a while, its fun. haha if anything at all, i want to work detail while going to school, it would make it a hell of a lot easier to manage both.

oh btw, i forgot to tell you, when i was at corporate today, i put down that you referred me, so expect a bonus of some sort. they might even give you another windbreaker for being such a helpful worker! :rofl:

hahaha awsome man i love windbreakers lol

haha she gave me mine and was suprised when i wasnt excited about it. ill probably hang it up and never look at it again.

back on topic though, anyone on here gone through a dealership to do this? share your experience, maybe give me some insight?

LOL

may i ask how much they start you out at over there?

7.50, nothing special, but there are some perks.

lol im in the same exact situation, but yes there are nice things about being a detailer, i got offered a tech lube spot today but idk

at your age, it wouldnt be a bad idea. just dont get suckered into it and be stuck there. im behind the game for my age because i thought it was necesarry to party instead of doing my homework…which then led to not even going to class at all. now im paying for it in trying to catch up and get a degree of some sort.