b16a firing problem

just finished my turbo b16a build in my EG coupe… put the motor in after freshening up the block, installed the engine… bolted all my turbo junk on and it wont fire. have good grounds, fuel pump primes, main relay clicks, have fuel at the rail, smells while cranking, motor is in time, have spark and compression. codes for vtec pressure sensor and iat sensor(jdm b16a intake mani doesnt have one). i’m stumped here guys. anyone who is good with hondas and or diagnostic issues your input greatly appreciated. i’m trying to go to empire tomoroww for a few runs before winter hits so i wanna gets this sucker goin.

thanks

So it just keeps cranking? What ECU is in it?

Check the firing order, its so basic but missed many times.

Also, double check the injector harness make sure not of it is mixed up.

^ what he said, plus make sure your harness ground by your thermostat housing is connected. many people miss that.

The harness should be grounded if you are getting spark and fuel.

its weird that its not starting since you are getting both the fuel and the spark to the cylinders. It does sound like it could be the injector harness hooked up in the wrong order or check thespark plug wires to make sure you didnt put them in the wrong order.

Or Check post #3. Check these 2 things and if it doesn’t run PM me, I’ll help you out. I’ve helped many people on here troubleshoot honda swaps.

its got a chipped p28 in it. with an appropriate map for a turbo b16 with 450s. i will check the injector harness, thermostat ground is good, have other grounds at the trans to frame rail and core support to the vc.

thanks everyone

Maybe the ground wire between the head and core support?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Its possible the chip is bad.

Check the firing order, make sure its right,
Looking at the Dizzy from the pass side its

From the front looking at the motor its 4321 from left to right

burned a new chip last night. still nothing. gonna go check the harness now

dont steal my thunder!

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

ps, just to steal dans thunder, he should have just posted this:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-UhZWs2G55nHnN8MgVgWiaXfs6-uKhPuzEx5OujVxUlmwIjMFLSp9MIzQ

The injector wiring should be:

Distributor Side–> Yellow, Blue, Red, Brown <–Crank Pulley Side

Make sure the plugs are in that order, it could be sending fuel to cylinder thats not firing a spark.

Also if his grounds were bad the fuel pump most likely wouldnt prime.

well… my dizzy ended up being bad, it had spark when i tested it… but i threw another one on and it popped off:gotme: but now i have another problem… it doesnt seems to be running correctly(smoothly). i thought i bent a valve because it skipped time once… tore the head off and the valves are all fine… when cold it runs alright. but as soon as it gets to operating temp and you give it throttle it starts to break up and smoke(black). and if you try to drive it the temp skyrockets. i swear this b16 is cursed.

THIS.

I fucked this up before and drove myself nuts.

TPS/Plugs/Timing/Cap and rotor (considering the dizzy problems this might be a good start)
Thermostat? Bleed the fuck out of coolant.

do you have a wideband? sounds like it is running super rich and needs a tune.

Is your Rad fan working?

Could a bad 02 cause it?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbO4trg2Z3Ck4llLStJ5ZWY0ylIMbOGpewW_weQdD4paQlN9AreK5uUd7rcA

made a little headway… my iacv was going haywire. i unplugged it. idles fine when cold. i took it down the road… slow as shit. if i try to get into boost i hear my turbo spool… and my wastegate dump A LITTLE. i know the turbo and gate are both good. i know my tune is a little rich… but not terrible. and still if i start driving it, the engine almost immediately overheats.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

oh and my sensor is burned out on my aem so waiting for a new one. and my o2 is disabled in crome so it runs straight off the map

OK, I’ll make this very clear…re-read your first post and you have your answer to your problem. You said you have IAT code. Well, get an IAT in there (manifold doesn’t need to have a spot, wire it to correct ecu pins and shove it in a grommet in the intake pipe, done). Seeing as you have no IAT present, the ECU thinks your temp is ~200+ so it’s pulling timing and dumping extra fuel (only it’s not a little extra, it’s quite a bit extra seeing as there is 450s in there). So your car will run like shit.
here is a small list of the main few sensors a honda needs to run decent/well: IAT, ECT, MAP, TPS. That’s it providing it’s OBD I.