Bad clutch or bad transmission???

So I’ve been having difficulty shifting for the past few thousand miles in my SHO. When I swapped the manual trans into the car I went with a reman Autozone clutch…it was supposed to be a temporary clutch since I wasn’t 100% confident the swap was going to work.

A few thousand miles into it and it shifted fine. At about 10000 miles of pretty light driving I noticed difficulty upshifting. If I was higher up into the rpms (above 4000ish) I could shift okay. But from say 2000-4000 it would take a few seconds to engage, I had to wait for the rpms to drop down to idle. At this time I noticed I was severely down on trans fluid so I filled that back up, figured I may have got the trans hot and toasted some synchros???

So I put in a trans from a friend that was in solid shifting condition…same problems with the shifts.

I have adjusted the cable several times, as well as replaced the clutch cable about 500 miles ago.

It feels like when I push the cluth pedal it’s not fully disengaging the clutch, but several clutch adjustments later and it still won’t go. I’m beginning to wonder if the pressure plate is just getting weak and not allowing the clutch to function properly…seeing as this problem has occurred with two transmissions and I really don’t drive this car all that hard.

Thoughts???

Have you checked to make sure the master cylinder resevior has enough fluid in it? There may be some leaks in the system. Also, have you checked the master cylinder itself out? It could be getting lazy and not engaging all the way and need to be replaced.

It sounds to me like a problem with the tranny (syncros, etc.) - but if the tranny shifted fine right before you put it in - then it probably isn’t that.

Also, does it make any noise or chattering during normal driving? Did you use a roller pilot bearing or just a solid metal pilot bearing?

It doesn’t seem like it would be a problem with the clutch. If your clutch was having problems - then you should be able to get it to slip by just jamming the gas down hard without shifting.

sounds like a clutch problem to me, dont pay attention to the guy above, he obviously didnt read the fact that you have a cable actuated clutch. re-manned pressure plates are notorious for wearing quickly, especially autozone ones (i worked at autozone for 2 years, i would know). if it was me, i would say replace the clutch and you should have no problems.

Word…I’m hoping it’s clutch related as trannys in these cars can become expensive to rebuild. Another thing is that the clutch pedal feels VERY squishy when I first begin to engage it…as if the pp fingers are worn out.

I’ll probably order up a new and reputable clutch soon…

I’ve seen in the past that the little ring that goes around the pressure plate fingers can snap. If it does, you’ll see that the pp fingers are uneven because that ring gets “unwedged” from where it should be. Basically causing a disengagement problem. When you look at the PP at a glance it will seem to look fine, but if you carefully inspect it, you may find exactly what I’m talking about.

In general, sounds like a PP issue, not a tranny issue.