Clutch Problem

I’m trying to gain a better idea of what the problem is with my clutch, as I was driving in 3rd and tried to downshift to second and the clutch pedal felt really light and I was unable to shift. It would seem that the clutch pedal is not disengaging the clutch. Any information on this would be much appreciated.

low fluid?

Worn disk?

Pedal requires adjusting?

might have blown a line if the pedal feels mushy

ive seen a broken pressure plate do that

do you mean that the clutch seems like it’s still stucj in there therefore you are unable to accelerate?
bleed the clutch, the excess pressure could be the problem…happened to me

Mine is the same man,

I am going to bleed it tonightm, mind you mine is also like that becasue the piston cam out a little to far

The pedal feels like its doing absolutely nothing… its really easy to push in and when I try to start it with it in first gear and my foot on the clutch it jolts forward

that is because you slave cylinder is not moving, som if you did not take the slave off you probbly have a leak, if you took the slave off you pistion probbly came out a little to far and you just have to bleed the system

Yeah I though maybe there might be a leak… I didn’t see any fluid on the ground but there was a liquid around the tranny… although it could be rust check from before I bought the car. Time to jack her up and get those coveralls on.

did you take the Salve out at all??? if not then just follow the line from the master to the slave, you should see something

I haven’t touched anything, it happened last night around 9 I towed it home, crashed got up for an interview and here I am… it might be hard to tell because the previous owner had the engine bay sprayed to prevent rust and I’m not sure if he did around the tranny… What should I be looking for to identify clutch pedal fluid

hahaha well just look for Brake Fluid.

No signs of brake fluid down the lines… master cylinder is at the minimum level… no signs of fluid around the slave… but on the tranny where the line runs to. there is a rubber piece that has signs of brake fluid but not much at all… I’m going to try to bleed it…

ya and see if it leaks,
you do not have to loose much fluid at all to have no clutch feel

Bleeder is being a nasty you know what… figuring out how I’m going to heat it up and get it off without stripping it

ya that sounds about right,

I the bleeder screw didn’t allow fluid to come out of it so I had to take it right off… after I let some fluid out by this time the master was empty, I hit the clutch and it went right to the floor and stayed there… I filled it back up and pumped it and its coming back to where it should be… now I have a question… befoer I bleed the lines on the tranny where the clutch line runs and the fluid moves that mechanical linkage that I assume moves the clutch in and out was still moving back and forth… I don’t know much about manual trannys

I have located where the problem lies. I removed the rubber gromet where the clutch lines goes to a solenoid and into the tranny housing and that metal arm is moving but for some reason is not pushing the clutch. I’m stumped but atleast I know now that I have to take the tranny out but I would still like to know what most likely the problem would be so i can sleep better at night :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m having a very similiar issue what did you find out.

you may not have enough hydrolic pressure to move your slave cylinder.

you need a person with you to properly bleed the clutch, get your mom or dad to help you out and do it properly, I had a similar issue where if I drove for a long time the pressure would release and I woudn’t be able to shift.

after a min or two of pumping the pressure would return and I can shift again. I have since changed my slave cylinder and all is grand.

can anyone check what their throw length is? so atleast there is something to compare to, I know I my dsm it’s about 3/4".

Sorry for not finishing this post, my car has been fixed for a couple of weeks now. My clutch disc was down to the rivets and a nice chunk was missing so I grabbed a dynapak clutch kit and did it in my garage in a day. It was real fun getting the tranny back in when you’ve got about a foot of room to work with :P. Plus my pressure plate teeth were nice and worn possibly warped aswell.