Basic painting tips

Ugh, so I m really debating painting my car matte black, I know a few things, but generally Ive never done anything auto painting related before in my life, I know there are a few guys on here who would confidently paint a car, and Im just looking for a few basic tips, I really dont expect it to be absolutely show worthy and flawless, but I dont want to be disgusted when I look at the car, plus Im trying to sell, it (hard to sell with hagged paint) So how bout paging IEATPAINT ? thanks

-Ian

Go to walmart
Buy flat black paint.
Spray
Profit.

lol, but if you’re really interested text me tomorrow.

No rattle can, Im goin to Al will and getting single stage SEM hot rob black, and some good primer, its the prep work I’ll need your help with.

I have a garage, we can prep it there and possibly paint it in there as well.
I’ll see what I can do about getting a compressor and a gun to use, unless you can find one.

anthony has everything, he said I can use his garage as well, but IDK if it can be occupied too long

Well, If you can drive it here and leave it for a few days I can do all the prep work.

EDIT: You’re going to end up keeping the car once you go thru with this.

PS. Get some wheels after we paint it.

I cant, you know this, thats the main reason for not wanting to do this, anyway I’ll let ya know

if you want to raise the resale value do a stock color repaint.

flat black wont go over well with a first timer

not to mention the bay being purple…

yes, I know, anyway, what is it about the flat black thats so difficult, I followed a write up on bimmerforums, with the single stage hot rod black, it seemed pretty easy, especially since CKY can do top notch prep work

I <3 being anal about that kinda shit. lol.

flat black is tricky. actually from all the autobody ive done. flat back is one the hardest. need to not tiger stripe it.

best flat back would be: HotHues hotrod black ’ which is used on high end cars that go flat black/ few porsches i seen, 70,000 hot rods etc. . pricey but worth it and super durable.

Yep, thats the stuff, from what I hear its single stage and doesnt need to be cleared, just a few coats obv, if the body work is done straight it’ll be ok I think

Oh and another basic question, will one quart of everything I need do the whole car, just so I dont look like and idiot

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showpost.php?p=633719&postcount=118

Ingredients :wink:

OH thats fantastic, I have a few questions though, how much paint/primer did it take to do the whole car ? somehow IDK if a quart is enough, also with the single stage it doesnt need to be cleared correct ? I really like the look of that but the SEM “hot rod black” seemed to have a little more grey in it, so I’ll probably go that route, thanks

I did a single stage black with the flattener. Doesn’t have to be cleared. If I was to do it again I would go with about 1/2 the flattener I used. If your bodywork is good, do a 20-25% mix for the flattener for a more “satin” finish (semi-sheen), or as high as the 40% for the hot-rod black. I’d think on the 3S a more semi-sheen finish would be appropriate. The flattener will take the black to a more grayish black, which is really just the black losing the depth of shine. If you’d like to see what it looks like @ 40%, you can check out my '68 in person.

Quantities, eh, I’d have to look at the paintcans to see how much I used. Talk to the guys at Al Wils on Transit, they’ll hook you up. Bullshit with them for a while and you may even get some freebies. :wink:

Nice, Im gonna bring them some pics today so mabye they can give me some recomendations on the approperiate mix of flattener, but personally I think I like the look of it at 40% it seems to be more of like what where seeing it the “matte black thread” plus I just plain perfer the matte to the the satin finish, thanks again for all your help, I’ll update accordingly.

-Ian

Here’s a day pic of 40% (cam phone shot though)

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/651161/fullsize/image0024.jpg

The nice thing is this car was done with the same materials available to you, so if you follow that “formulation” (which is what it will tell you on the cans), you should get the same result. :tup:

LOL thanks, seeing that Ive never painted anything before Im sure it wont be all that easy getting it right, but we’ll see what happens