Bathroom Remodel

awesome work, but next time put the captions on top of the pictures. more conducive for reading and scrolling

Green board is absolutely not for stopping water vapor (we’re talking vapor, not actual water) Green board is only a water resistant gypsum board, which will resist mold buildup. However, that doesn’t mean mold will not grow on the wood studs, insulation, or exterior wall from condensation where warm (inside wall) meets cold (outside wall) A lot of builders have stopped using green board anyhow and have opted for a cement board with a poly barrier. Plus, he only has green board on the shower enclosure, where he should have, but has what looks like regular paper backed drywall on the rest of the wall. That’s another place where mold can grow.

To the OP: Did you thin set the backerboard to the floor?

The backerboard is screwed to the plywood floor, and the tile is thin setted to the backer

Not to get on you, but you’re supposed to thin set the backerboard to the floor. Your grout is probably going to crack.

In all the years I have been helping my father and my uncle work on houses, I have NEVER seen a plastic vapor barrier used. Paper backed insulation was always the norm though.

Awesome - wanna do mine?

Exactly, you should have used cement board and then the green drywall the rest of the bathroom with a vapor barrier behind it no matter what.

Also you do have to thinset the backerboard down first, it will probably crack over time.

wow, buncha negative nancies in here. There’s a reason I don’t post up my remodels.

+1

You guys watch Holmes on Homes too much

no, there is a right way to do things and the wrong way, why do it twice?

green/blue drywall in the whole bathroom is overkill.

My dad has built many houses along with FULL-gutted renovations in both houses I lived in as a kid. My aunt,uncle and cousins lived in one them for 12+ years. I have NEVER seen him put up a plastic vapor barrier. There has NEVER been an issue of mold/moisture anywhere in ANY of the houses.

There’s the right way to do things, and then there is the overkill way

Adding a bunch of negative opinions on how other people do things after it’s already done/not reasonably changeable reallly brings nothing to the table.

except bring it to light for those who may do the same project some day

I’ve done it the wrong way in my bathroom (when I tiled the floors by myself) and then I did it the right way in the kitchen when I got help from my step father (certified contractor). Guess which room had the grout crack…

It’s great that he did it himself and it came out AWESOME… but there are a few areas that may not have been done properly and like travis said, people might get some information from this post before they do try it themselves.

As for the vapor barrier, I don’t think it’s overkill to put the plastic up. It’s what I was taught and what generally works best. Just food for thought for the ones reading.

Same here; Vapor Barrier on any/all outside walls is what I was always taught and have done.

As for Green Board Vs Regular Vs Backerboard… No comment, Haven’t tackled a shower yet or room with lots of humidity. I’m just using regular in the bathroom I’m doing as there’s no shower.

vapor barrier goes on the inside of the studs, before the drywall?

Yup; Over the insulation, under the drywall.

This is great info, sometimes you just don’t think about stuff like vapor barrier under cement board or thinset under the backer board. But it makes sense once you hear it. Good to know stuff right there.

The bathroom looks beautiful, your house will not fall apart, you will not get mold all over your bathroom, and someone will probably tear it out before anything is even close to happening

I’ve done probably over 40bathroom floors and never in my life have i put thinset underneath cement board and then screwed it down :wtf:

the only reason your grout lines/tiles would ever crack is if you drop something, the house shifts or if you mix the grout too loosely, not because there isnt thinset underneath the cement board

it’s not really a big deal if you didnt use cement board in the shower part, sure it would be great if you could, but if you didnt. No biggie. We just did a bathroom with an existing shower, and they wanted a tile border around it. it had regular drywall :ohnoes: , and we glued to regular drywall :ohnoes:

i’ve been doing this for over 3 years and i’ve never had to go back to fix something with any tile work i have done, and yes if something happens we do “warranty” it

Half the people in this thread seem to be the type to put 45staples per square foot in subflooring, which i just had to tear up. thnx!

UGH…Or ceramic tile on walls with metal mesh behind it with nails every two inches all the way around, then cement behind that, then plaster behind that, then finally the studs and insulation :fu: