Battery Relocation to Trunk

Has anybody done this? Did you buy a kit and all? Where did you run the wires?

I have it done.

Was minor. I just used the stereo cable I had running to the trunk from the battery, connected that under the hood to the old line, then the other end to the battery. Put a fuse in line near the battery in the back and your done.

You will need a secure box and metal tie down. I used a canadian tire battery box, and made a tie down with flatbar from Home Depot. Bent it the way I needed it and bolted it to the car.

depends if you want to go to the track however. Race city has some seriously stupid rules on battery relocation.

the box has to be vented to the outside of the car

the box has to be vented to the outside of the car[/quote]

Yeah, I don’t know about other cars but on the SPEC V there are 2 rubber grommets under the spare tire. You could easily run some vaccum line from the box through one of those grommets. But you really should have a battery vented if it’s inside the cars trunk or cabin, for the hatchback guys. Fumes can be bad.

How do you vent the battery? Just build a cover then run it out through like a hole in a tailight or something?

Even if it is a gel cell battery? I know traditional batteries need to be vented for sure, just not sure on the gelcell ones.

plus u need to have a kill switch on the outside of your car on the rear, easily accesible…“nice kouki’s man, that button through the middle of em to turn em off?” hahaha I could see some Honda owner saying that

I’m also interested in relocating my battery this spring. Now it’s time to plague you with questions.

What gauge wire did you use, and what size fuse did you put in the line?

Where exactly did you run it, along a door sill or straight down the middle of the car along the tranny tunnel?

Hopefully I can do my HID project this winter, and if so I’ll need some room. I squeezed a large battery in the spot where a small one is designed to fit :lol:

Mine is done with 4 gauge wire, and I ran it down the passenger door sill, and up under the rear seat. Not sure on the fuse you should put in there because I don’t have one :wink: haha. I should, but just got too lazy. lol. I’ll fire that up this winter.

wouldnt relocating your battery to the back create more resistance on your ground wires, etc? i was planning on doing this but i looked into it and talked to a few mechanics at my work and apparently its a horrible idea…

Yeah I was thinking the same thing but I really need a new battery and I don’t feel like putting a lawnmower battery in my car lol.

where did you bolt the battery to in your trunk? I don’t know where I need to drill holes

There’s no problem with relocating your battery, you just have to use larger gauge wire to account for the increased length of the + cable to the engine bay.

Mine was bolted on the drivers side rear corner. Right in front of where the jack goes (jack is under drivers seat now).

Hard to explain, but you won’t have to worry about hitting the gas tank there. Then another tie bar goes down into the spare wheel well and bolts into there.

I had to relocate mine because there is no room with the intercooler piping there. Like mentioned, i hate those small batteries.