Battery Relocation

What gauge of wire should be used when relocating the battery to the trunk?

Solid core welder’s type wire. Gauge 1, or even 0 is good. 4 may be doable…

does any place sell a complete relocation kit?

Summit Racing, Jegs and all those places sell kits for like $50USD.

S&H and stuff you are looking at about $100-$120CAD.

Or you can buy a marine battery box from Canadian Tire, buy the
required hardware (brackets, straps, terminals, vent hose, etc.) and then
buy some wlders cable (as Jonweir said, 0AG or 1AG preferred).

Some people do use car audio cable (4AG) but I personally won’t be
doing that. I’d rather get some welders cable (dunno where yet but I’m
sure someone in the yellow pages has some).

Princess auto should have welder’s cable.

DON’T USE WELDERS CABLE

Stock is stranded for a reason.

How do you justify this? I’m only saying welders cable after reading
through the discussion on NEO.

Welders cabel is stranded, Jon was wrong saying it is solid core. Welders cable is the best cable for carring the heavy amperage required to start a car on a cold day… 'coz welders cable is designed to carry heavy amperage… oh and it’s cheap :slight_smile:

-Martin.

I’m doing it myself, and to help all you others…
Heres where i got my full battery relocation kit except wires for 39.99 8)
As for cable, why dont a bunch of us set up a GB on these boxes! Id be in! And the cable I can get dirt cheap through my dads work…So if we get say 5 of us, order 5 boxes, and ill get 5 sets of cable :lol:

batterybox04@yahoo.ca

http://www.tagracecraft.ca/for_sale/battery_box_space/batterybox.jpg

Your Welcome:wink:

And how much is shipping? Can we pick it up locally?

With taxes it’s $45.95. If S&H is $10-$15, I guess it’s reasonable unless
you can find a cheaper box/brackets at CT.

I believe S&H was around 8 bucks. Well worth it…Anybody down? I can grab the wire too…

It definetly should be stranded.

The only other considerations are the insulation and the gauge.
I think 2,1, or 0 guage should be doable (and yes … you can get car audio power leads in these sizes).

If you buy cable that’s certified for way over 12V (I’m guessing welders cable would be) you’re paying for different insulation that you don’t really need (unless it’s cheaper …)

Whatever you do … I’d recommend you install a fusable link as close to the battery as possible and put some of that plastic wire cover over it.

That reminds me, I tried to ask you about your dual-ground cables
coming out of your battery box but you got interrupted by a phone call.

So what’s the deal on that?

yeah id be in for this GB

Anyone else interested? We can all meet up or something put the cash together and order the boxes and I can get the cable… What cable should I be looking for? Welders Spliced? Not Spliced? Lets try to get more people in this, otherwise its not worth it, and we should order on our own.

Well I e-mailed the person to see if I can do a local pickup instead of shipped.

I’m already going to check out a couple places that sell the welding cable.
There’s a place near my dad’s shop that I’ll look into for pricing.

Cool, Let me know what the pricing is like Gonad. Also, If you can pick up the box, let me know again. Maybe one of us can grab several for all the people interested…

Hrm, I’m confused about this solid vs stranded wire stuff.

After searching around, I haven’t come up with enough solid proof that convinces me either way, but here’s what I came across:

Stranded wire flows better AC current as the frequency rises, this is due to the skin effect: where electrons tend to travel along the outer edge of a conductor at higher frequencies. This is talked about in audio circles, but the actual effect is negligible even at 20kHz. This is more a problem for RF power transmission.

Stranded wire is more flexible and resiliant. It can withstand minor damage to some strands and not loose much performance. The american welding society has standards as to the strength and toughness of cables for safety purposes.

The wires in your house are solid, and they are exposed to very little vibration and (hopefully) no movement. But houses often have electrical fires…?

But it looks like everyone uses stranded wire.

Does anyone have any good info on this stuff, I’m curious.

All the welders I’ve used and owned are stranded.
I’ve talked to a expert with this before when i did my battery re-location in my CRX and stranded wire is better…
That is what I’ll will be using again in the 240sx.
I’ll get prices at wholesale on wires ASAP.

Yes, this seems to be the consensus. But I’m curious as to why.