Benefit for my daughter April 14th.

I may set up a paypal for her. I’ll talk with the “Committee” tonight.

Im in for a donation if you setup the account

For those of you that are seriously interested in becoming a bone marrow donor, here is your chance and it is free. Although my daughter is set on a donor, you could help someone else.

National Marrow Donor Drive at St. Andrew’s Church - McNulty Hal1
1525 Sheridan Dr. Kenmore, NY 14217

Saturday March 24, 2007
11:00 AM – 2:00 PM

Marrow and blood cell transplants are used to treat leukemia, lymphoma and other life-threatening blood diseases. Each year more than 30,000 children and adults will be diagnosed with diseases for which a bone marrow transplant is the only chance for cure. Only 30% will find a matching donor within their family.

You can help share life by becoming a bone marrow or peripheral blood stem cell (PBSC) donor.

A transplant involves replacing the patient’s bone marrow with healthy new blood forming cells. Someone whose tissue type matches the patients must be found.

How? Meet the criteria to become a donor: Age between 18 – 60 years and
No history of cancer, diabetes or heart problems.

A simple swab of the inside of your cheek will give the necessary tissue typing information. This is then put into the National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP) computerized registry that records individuals who have agreed to join the registry and potentially donate marrow or stem cells. From here we are able to “match” potential donors with patients in need.

If you are found to be a match you will receive a call explaining the process for donating the marrow for the patient. The donor does not have to travel to where the patient lives, as donation can be done locally.

Donor screening is FREE, as cost is covered by the NMDP.

Please consider helping to save a life by becoming a donor. If you have any questions or would like to volunteer to help please feel free to call the event coordinators Terrie Carbone RN NP at 838-6875 or Sue Paprocki RN of the National Marrow Donor Program at 1-888-298-6571 ext 101.

I lost a fiance to aplastic anemia 14 years ago. Fortunately they have made huge advances and you have a donor lined up.

Will def spread the word, and My wife and I are down for a donation.

More importantly, I’m going to check into some things for You, for this. They’ve run a few successful events as such. It’s alright that I call You at the number on the flier, right?

[quote=“Nikuk,post:25,topic:24487"”]

Will def spread the word, and My wife and I are down for a donation.

More importantly, I’m going to check into some things for You, for this. They’ve run a few successful events as such. It’s alright that I call You at the number on the flier, right?

[/quote]

Yes, my cell is 983-0813.

Thanks everyone!

Paypal info:

We will just use my paypal account as it is already set up and isn’t used for anything else.

My email address for paypal is: juicedss @ gmail.com (remove the spaces of course)

If you make a donation of $20.00, please include your board name, real name and address so I can mail you a ticket or set aside one for you.

There will be 50/50, raffles, Chinese auction etc. Typical benefit stuff. There may be a couple of guests which we are working out.

The ticket includes admission and is good for food, beer and soda. You MUST be 21 to be served beer. Sorry guys…

We really, really appreciate everyone’s support!

I’m going to use the few contacts that I have, try to get some businesses to donate (gift cards, tickets sales, etc).

I know from experience that companies like to have something to attach to their donations, for write off purposes, or just to hang on their “look what we did” wall. With that being said, I typed up a letter that I plan to abuse.

Butch approved, so IF You feel inclined to use it (WITH the flier posted above), feel free.

-Nick

2/14/2007

A couple of years ago I was introduced to Butch Levere through a mutual friend. Butch is the kind of guy that will go out of his way to help anyone that asks it of him, whether it’s a few minutes of his time or a visit from Santa Clause. The kind of guy that would moderates a website like www.mds-foundation.org. I like to tell the story that in December 2006 Butch played Santa Clause for a random child. The boy had been ill & in the hospital for some time, and so worried that Santa wouldn’t be able to find him there. Unsolicited, Butch donned his Santa outfit & sent a picture to the boy @ the hospital, to put him at ease.

Now, I’d like to share a rougher anecdote… in late 2004 Butch’s fiancé became gravely ill with Aplastic Anemia, a dreadful disease which requires 3-4 transfusions of blood & platelets per WEEK. Through months of hospital stays, they continued on with plans to marry. Undeterred, Butch saw to it that they were married “shotgun style” as he says, in a judge’s office, just before her bone marrow transplant procedure.

In May 2005 his wife passed away from complications of the surgery. As devastating as that was, by no similar means, his grandmother passed away the same day, just 30 minutes apart. Naturally our local group of friends turned out to support Butch. We passed a hat & took a collection; we weren’t sure what good it would do for a 43 year old man whom held a reputable job, but we did so in any event. As touched & moved as he was, Butch thought the money could be better spent; He donated it to Roswell Park Institute, where his wife had spent so much time. Butch is that kind of guy.

More to the point, & to bring you to current events; Butch’s stepdaughter, 21 year old Patricia Ashley Carminati, has now fallen victim to Aplastic Anemia. While the Niagara University student is younger then her mother, She is now awaiting the same bone marrow transplant; which is scheduled for March 14th. In the meantime she undergoes several blood & platelet transfusions per week. The family is expecting health insurance to cover the majority of the medical costs involved. For reference, her mother’s procedures cost nearly $1.6 million.
The family has been advised that recovery from the procedure will take 18 – 24 months. During this time, Patricia cannot live alone, cannot attend school, & cannot work. Her grandfather has been an angel; he has moved from Arizona to Buffalo so that he can stay with her, & tend to her when Butch cannot. Patricia & her grandfather will be leasing a simple apartment for the two of them, & doing their best to prepare for the long road ahead.

Our desire is to help this family. As attached, there will be a fundraiser held in Patricia’s honor. We are going to do the best that we can, now & in the near future, to help the family along the way. All proceeds raised through this event will be used toward Patricia’s immediate medical procedures, as well as ongoing care & recovery.

Any donations (gifts, baskets, ticket purchases, & the like) are more then appreciated.

While Butch knows that I am trying to drum up the support of the local community, this particular letter does not come from him, nor his family. This is something that I’ve written, to give to you. I would like to ask for your help in helping this family.

My wife and I may be coming out to it. We also might have a basket or something you can raffle.

Bump for a good cause

i’d like to show up for this as well…

i will put it in outlook…

Thanks for all the support!

bumps

I will have army training during that time, but i’m gonna buy a ticket anyways, and i’m spreading the word. Us islanders gotta stick together, and my heart goes out to your family.

We will be holding a raffle. Thanks to Bob Weaver, we have a 2006 Yamaha PW50 as 1st prize. It’s a 50cc dirt bike. This thing is very cool!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c349/juicedss/pw50.jpg

2nd prize is going to be a TV or DVD player. (We’ll have something Saturday)

3rd prize will be $100.00.

We also have a lot of items for a Chinese auction the day of the benefit.

Thanks to everyone that has donated raffle items as well as bought tickets!

Her bone marrow transplant is scheduled for March 14th. She’ll start chemo in the hospital on the 5th.

Wow. Bob Weaver rules. :slight_smile:

I’d like to go. :slight_smile:

Coupla bucks sent via PayPal. Best of luck.

Rich

[quote=“rskrause,post:38,topic:24487"”]

Coupla bucks sent via PayPal. Best of luck.

Rich

[/quote]

Thank you!!

Chinese auction? I’m there!