best place to buy ar15/m16 rifle?

After shooting yesterday, I fell in love. I want to pick one up, but not sure where to go for the best price. Any of the gun crew have a distributor they can recommend?

www.gunbroker.com

yep gunbroker steve

buffalo gun center

Ok first off, big no to Buffalo Gun Center. Many reasons, just take my word for it, or google it, there are alot of issues with BGC, and after being a long time customer, I don’t recomend them.

Ok now the AR-15 platform has about 1,000 different variations. You have the military M4 which is the typical tough guy gun, and then you have the varmint. Now in NYS we have alot of restrictions, like no mags over 10 rounds unless the magazine was made prior to 94’ (sept of 94’ to be exact) it can’t have a flash hider, bayonett lug, threadded barrel end or colapsable stock.

The really easy way to be compliant is to get an accurate varmint rig, with a fixed stock, bull barrel (flat face). If you want a military style M4 you need to get it specially set up for NYS. A typical M4 look alike goes for around 800 bucks for a Rock River, Bushmaster or other, complete. You can get lower brands for less, but you get what you pay for. I will promise that if you buy it local, you will probably get ripped off. I spend alot of time working with these rifles, and they are a passion of mine. Figure out what you want, and I can tell you the cheapest way to get one.

thanks for the awesome advise :tup:

I’m not 100% sure on the brand of the one we were shooting yesterday, but it got jammed up a couple times. I assume more so the fault of a shitty magazine, opposed to the gun itself?

I definitely want a quality piece, but would like to keep it under 1K if possible. Would I be better off buying used? Never purchased a rifle before so this is new to me

go with a colt.

Find a gun show. They are usually quite reasonable.

Could be lots of things

-Cheap ammo
-Dirty chamber
-Magazine
-I’m not sure about the ar15 config, I know on pistols worn springs could cause it was well
-Depending on how old, bad seals…But not likely unless its very old, and in very poor shape (like you shouldn’t have been shooting it shape)

Gander mountain advertises ar15/m16 look-alikes from time to time.

9/10 it was dirty, or the bullets werent loaded into the magazine correctly…

if youre shooting a range gun, theyre never clean… let me know what you get, cause im interested in getting one too… but id rather have an m4

Dood, you start with the M16 @ level 1.

duh.

oh, nevermind.

hahaha ^

Do you need a permit to own an AR-15?

No

So could I just go and buy one?

yes… what makes it “legal” is that it doesnt have an auto burst feature… it fires like any other semi auto gun.

all you have to do is go and buy and wait the normal period if there is any

then goto a show and pick up a full auto kit :slight_smile:

ughh…

theres actually an easier way… but im not gonna be the one blamed when he has an off day and bwaaaaaaaaat

depending on the gun yes im sure its simple, but you know a ton more than me on the subject :slight_smile:

I got my M4 at BGC for a good deal. Go take a look. I don’t really think you can save all that much by going online and having something shipped to an FFL. Your only other alternative, especially if you want pre-ban goodies, is to try to find one for a private sale.