Best way to do oil cooler hardlines?

From the factory my car comes with 5/16’’ hardlines from the transmission to the heat exchanger on the factory radiator.

The previous owner spliced in a transmission cooler, and used alot of rubber 5/16’’ lines.

The install is totally ghetto, and i’ve noticed some kinks happening in the rubber lines, which means its slowing flow of oil to the transmission.

Again, not good.

I want to run hardlines for all the bends, then just a very short section of rubber line to the transmission cooler.

I am also running an inline magnetic filter, so there will be a short section of rubber lines before and after that filter as well.

Whats the best way to attach 2 5/16’’ hardlines together. Is there some sort of a union that I can buy to make them attach and leakproof?

Also to bend the tube, i’m going to get a tube bender/flare tool from harbor freight. I hope that will do the trick.

Where is the best place to get a few feet of hardline?

Thanks,
J

the right way to attach two line is not to attach 2 lines and make one line of the correct length. You will need a flaring tool to do this method, as the lines are likely a flare fitting into the transmission. The problem is it will be of some difficulty to locate the correct fittings for the transmission.

the next echelon down the totem pole would be to cut the existing line square, add a nut and ferrule, then flare the line. 37 degree JIC flare is popular with the automotive aftermarket, but bubble flares and double flares are used occasionally as well. Again you will need a flaring tool, but what type you select is entirely your discretion.

The third step down would be to use a compression style fitting, but since these seal on the outside of the line, if your line is even slightly corroded, it’s likely to leak.

Then, the fourth method is what is currently done. Rubber hose and clamps. This is not a good method for a variety of reasons that you have, and haven’t, mentioned.

You can probably get 5/16 fuel line from any autoparts store, or Ferry Hydraulics on Walden will definitely have it, along with all of the fittings and tools listed above.

hope this helps.