Best Way to Transport a 240?

I’m bringing my 240 to my house and need a way of transporting it. I have a trailer thats 56inches wide (pretty sure the 240 is 66inches wide) I don’t have a a tow bar, or a dolly, so I’ll have to rent something. In son’s expert experience what would you suggest to use?
I can rent a trailer, dolly, tow bar, or chains and tow strap? What ever the mass consensus is.

thanks in advance

and before ahmed chimes in with his expert experience I’ll just put ASTFUF

Depending on the distance, just call CAA and use one of your free tows. Ask for a flatbed.

good call, is a flat bed the same cost as a tow truck? I have to tow about 70 kms

if you have a truck rent a car trailor from u hual
http://www.uhaul.com/

yes usually they are the same price. I think its a flat rate for the first 50kms after that its 25cents per KM.

If you have CAA a flat bed is free aslong as the driver deems it necessary.If its not necessary its 25 bucks.
Ive heard something about if your car didn’t come that low or whatever from factory they will charge you the 25 bucks. I’ve been charged the 25 bucks when I towed my 240 and it was lowered. Generally they have all the wood blocks and stuff to do it the right way, my exhaust scraped that was it.

i’ve had my 240 towed from CAA like 5 times this year…and i always call and ask for a flat bed…they still have to use the blocks…but its alot better…I’ve never had to pay $25 for anything and I’m pretty sure I can go up to 500km now with my Plus membership…its pretty sweet and worth the $100 a year imo

DONT use uhaul !!! Me and another board member got screwed by them.

i have CAA plus
so i’ll call them and see what they can do

Yea, if your car justifies a flatbed, they send you a flatbed and it’s free.

How so??? I have used them multiple times after i ran out of my CAA Plus calls…

i just called CAA and They say that the car has to be road ready/ licensed or atleast have a trip permit. both of which it can’t/ doesn’t have.

any one have experience with any other methods of transportation of a 240

tow dolly. just bring a few pieces of 2x6 so the tow hooks don’t hit when you load it up.

This might not be safe or legal for what i know.

But get a bud with some truck and just hook them together using the tow hook on the back, and steer the car and brake when you need to, till you get home.

I do not recommend this by any means, its just an idea

that works fine also, but it is illegal as hell with just a tow strap. and 70 km is quite the distance to go. you could always borrow a friends plates and drive it there too, lol, i mean, while we’re talking about illegal

car has a couple flats on it. and I have the truck that will be towing it (ford f150)
Tow straps are outta the question has it has to a long way.
is a dolly safe?

uhaul trailer… i think its like $25 for the day…

Slap a licence plate from something else on lol. That’s what I did :smiley:

yeah, dollys are fine, just a complete pain in the ass to back up once loaded. don’t back it up once the car’s on it.

^^ good call but i don’t have any extra plates around, i’ll find something