$BET: Plane Will take off. Stake your claim

lol…yah, umm…ok…yup…

I think you are annoying

Everybody take notes…

:lol:

you are truly, honestly lost aren’t you?

since i feel this is also an important diagram…

http://photos.e46fanatics.com/data/500/plane_conveyor.JPG

Step 1: Go to the gym
Step 2: Strap a rocketeer-like jet pack on your back, but keep it off for the time being.
Step 3: Start running on treadmill with the jet pack still off.
Step 4: Make sure jet pack is facing in such a way that you propel forward, and turn it on at full blast.
Step 5: Ask someone to scrape you off the wall.

The wheels on the plane are like your feet matching the conveyor speed. The jet pack is obviously the jet engines on a plane. Let me know what happens :slight_smile:

My farts dont produce enough thrust, i tried it with rollerblades

likewise

the plane will take off. The plane isn’t being propelled with it’s wheels but with a fucking jet so the wheels play no part in the fucking take off other then holding the fucking thing up.

This has to be the greatest question to ever hit the internet or the world for that matter. It really shows you the difference in common sense in some people.
Someone find the leaktape from the show. I am sure that they have already done the expirement and are just waiting to air it. Someone steal the footage, and end this assinine debate now!

ps. it will fly

Nevermind…I meant yes

Wear rollerblades and you are exactly replicating the experiment

But what if it’s a seaplane in one of those endless pools where they can vary the speed of the water??? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I cannot believe this thread even exists, but boy is it funny.

thats a perfect comparison, lol.

isnt this too non automotive for you?

I just told 2 co-workers about this. Their exact response was it won’t take off duh…

… then like 30 seconds later both look up and at the same time, we are idiots of course it’ll take off laughs histerically

Hah. I think this thread is only so interesting because as car enthusiasts people are trained to think of everything like it’s a car with a drive system applying force through the tires to the road surface rather than acting on the air.

edit: I just noticed some people are talking about the belt speed matching the wheel speed, and then others talking are about the belt speed matching the fuselage speed…

Some people are not only stupid, but they also can’t read. :cjerk:

someone find my drawing of the plane on the treadmill with the rope that goes from the tail to a pulley to the treadmill

For those confused…think of it this way. If the plane had no wheels and just magically floated in the air then applying thrust would accelerate it forward and eventually build up enough airspeed to lift off. To prevent it from gaining air speed you would have to directly counteract the force of the thrust. In this case the treadmill is attempting to put that force onto the wheels and thus into the body of the plane. If there is no friction between the wheels and the plane then the treadmill can’t exert that force onto the body of the plane so it can’t be “held” back. It will accelerate forward and gain airspeed no matter what the speed of the treadmill.

Now in real life there is friction between the wheels and the body of the plane. But the problem is that at some point the thrust will overcome that friction and it will still gain airspeed. Either that or the treadmill can’t spin fast enough to generate a greater and greater friction required to act against the thrust.

If you say it can’t take off, please shut the fuck up.

well if the conveyor has to oppositingly match the plane speed, and not the wheel speed, I’d like to change my vote.