Bike inspection

I am looking for a list of minimum requirements to pass NYS motorcycle inpections. I have looked on dmvs site but found nothing. My brother has a custom made Harley that I am working on. But I’m not sure of the exact needs to pass inspection. The bike has bare minimum everything ei no brake light, high beam, turn signals, horn, gauges. I want to make the bike legal as possible. Bike is registered as a 2001.

All the requirements I believe are in the motorcycle book at the DMV.

It needs to pass in the following areas (of course depends on the shop) tires, brakes, turn signals, hi-lo beam, brake light, at least one mirror and horn.

But if you know someone who does bike inspections you can get away with a lot since they don’t need to be hooked up to a computer.

I cant even understand why anybody would not want turn signals, high beams and brake lights.

Sure beats doing those stupid hand signals that nobody understands.

No brake light is absolutely stupid, you have to be an idiot to ride without a brake light…seriously.

This is a custom built chopper. I’m looking more for dmvs guide lines rather then hear say. Not "you need good brakes tires etc.

I want to know. What lights are required starting at what year, front brake required, fenders front and rear, etc.

I would think that since its titled as a 2001 Harley it needs to have everything a regular 2001 Harley had on it.

Same as I thought. Being custom built it was asigned a vin then. But its been this way til this year when my brother aquired it.

It doesn’t matter what light or brakes he has on it as long they are DOT approved and functional, as far as brakes it will need a front and rear brake. Simple as that, its not like they take out a manual for the actual bike and say it needs to have this, this and this. You are blowing an inspection out of proportion, it just needs to have the basic safety items that are needed on EVERY bike.

Understandable.

Bikes are VERY easy to have pass inspection, just needs a few basic things and its good to go.

Yea I know. I just want him to have no issues riding amd being hasseled