NY bike inspections

What are the safety requirements to pass inspection?

i plan on ditching the factory guages/lights in favor of a possible
trailtech computer and differnt light.

do i need an odometer?

All they ever checked on my bikes was Horn, hi/low beam, turn signals, tail light, brake light that lights up with both levers, good tires. That’s about it. In my experience they don’t really tend to give 2 shits about bike inspections. As for what’s legally required… Most people on this board would be absolutely amazed at what you can find on NY’s DMV website. Like laws and stuff.

• Working headlights/highbeams
  • Working turn signals
  • proper tread depth on tires
  • sufficient brake pads
  • at least one mirror
  • working horn
  • brake lights triggered with both pedals

Why would anyone look at the NYS DMV website to find this stuff out BikerFry? You’re drinking a bit early this Thursday or something? :slight_smile:

what he sad… tires lights… blinkers… brake from both levers… however mileage on the bike does go on thesticker so im not certain as to how they would handle no mileage

From the NYSDMV website herself:

A MOTORCYCLE MUST HAVE ALL OF THE FOLLOWING EQUIPMENT IN GOOD WORKING ORDER:

Approved lights, including headlight, taillight, stop lamp and license plate lamp, at least one red reflector on the rear and directional signals if the motorcycle was originally equipped with directionals or is a 1985 or newer model.
Brakes, on 1971 and newer motorcycles brakes are required on both wheels.
A horn or other warning device.
At least one rearview mirror mounted on a handle bar, although mirrors on both handlebars are strongly recommended.
A suitable muffler, “cutouts” or mufflers with removable baffles are prohibited.
Handlebars no more than 15 inches higher than the seat.
A seat for the operator and a passenger seat in the rear if a passenger is carried (no more than one passenger is permitted).

I finally got the blood concentration low enough in my caffein stream. :tup:

Also on the DMV website, I found a form for how to fill out the motorcycle inspection form :ham: that said to simply indicate if the odometer was missing or broken.

goodie…
now in about 4.61538 years i should be ready to take it in.
(given 10 minutes per week to work on bike)

lol

just buy the gsxr … :)… it already passed the inspection for the season… register it and ride

heh
thought about it…

but then there is that whole thousands of dollars thing.
it always gets in my way.

that plus food and shelter for the wife and kids :slight_smile:
wifey needs job so i can get out of debt.