Blew My Turbo.

wow, self pwnage @ its best/worst… sorry cossey. I still would check for an underlying issue. turbos DO NOT just fry on their own.

Turbo is 100% fried. Oil RETURN line was split, and spilling out oil.

They said that when they checked the dipstick, there was no oil on it. I was about to jump to conclusions and tell them how that was the first thing I checked and so on and so forth, but then told me the return line was what was spewing.

No 100% on whether it’s warrantied or not, but the car is still there, and I do have a loaner car (that my mom has to drive due to me not being 21).

Ah. You are lucky your motor isn’t fried if your turbo fried from a return line. I am still a bit worried about the noise you heard. Could be the siezed wheel but you said the car wasn’t driveable. Did you run that motor dry?

Still wondering how the hell it isn’t warrantied? Is it a rubber line or a braided?

Car isn’t under manufacturer warranty. It’s “dealer” warranty…

Thought it was new? No cheapo extended warranty on the used? I’d still bitch.

well hopefully they will warentee it

:crackup spelling warranty

I got the dealer to warranty it to 100k. I’m at 73k now.

I don’t see it as an issue then. It’s within on time and mileage. The cracked line is obviously something you haven’t tampered with, since the motor is untouched and bone stock. You’re running synthetic oils anyway, which shows you actually give a shit about the car.
I’d say they ought to cover it. Doesn’t hurt to be nice to the service advisor you’re dealing with and ask if you could write a letter of thanks to the general manager, mentioning their name. :wink: A little kindness goes a LONG way in this biz.

Subaru advises not to run ANY synthetic fluids in their vehicles. Nice try, though.

well that’s strange, could have sworn i saw an sti, badged as an sti in the latest castrol SYNTEC Q commercial :idiots

Sorrry Cossey about your turbo i hope everything goes well and is coverd …

if that was the case, then subaru would specifically say so in their owners manual. So as far as consumers go, as long as they are using the same grade of oil, then its covered.

nice try though

Subaru even went as far as releasing a TSB telling people directly to NOT run synthetic motor oil in their vehicles. ESPECIALLY Mobil 1 synthetic. Benny - people also fly in commercials. You believe everything you see on TV?

Nice try, though…sheesh.

hmm underlying issue causing turbo to go… oddly enough… oil starvation… cossey im sorry but hope it gets fixed under warranty.

Everything’s being fixed under warranty. Only $50 for the deductible from the dealership. Everything’s all set for me though.

Good bro im happy for ya

well i thought the reason it was featured in the commercial is because it’s the oem oil, rarely do i see a licensed vehicle, with full badges appear on commercials unless that vehicle is very closely related to the product being advertised, no?

do you have a link to this tsb?

what years/generations does it effect?

glad you are being accommodated cossey. ;D

there was a big recall with vw some years ago iirc. they said only to run standard oil in the 1.8t and people were grenading turbo’s and more… some time after that i believe they changed it up and said synthetic only? tom, your a tvw tech, and insight on this?

i would think that synthetic would be better to run in a turboed car. anyone have any info on this?

thats crazy talk