Blew My Turbo.

Sweet… Not.

RIP VF40.

Sketchy details. :slight_smile:

Symptoms? Pull the intake pipe and check for damage to wheels/fins/shaft play. Also, overspinning it destroys it. Car feel slow lately? Ever pressure test? I mean pressure test like 20-30PSI to look for leaks. Sorry mang but forced upgrade. :smiley:

Car’s at a dealership right now hopefully being covered under warranty, since the only mod on the car currently are the coilovers which have nothing to do w/ the powertrain. Here’s what happened:
Driving along, turbo makes weird screeching sound almost like a bearing failure. Car makes no boost at all. Smoke starts to come out of the engine compartment from the turbocharger side. Coolant temp is fine, not even warmed up to full temp yet.

When it happened, a state trooper just happened to be right next to me so obviously I wasn’t fucking around or anything of that nature. Got a flatbed and AAA said I used all my services up, this one’s on me. I was about to use it for Vlad’s car but then cancelled and the tow company apparently told AAA they towed the car. They didn’t even show up. $162 later, the car’s at the dealership.

Wierd. Typically a blown turbo allows the car to limp along ok. Let’s see. They should cover it. Be firm.

Why didn’t you call me?!

Sucks to hear, sir- as always, if there’s anything you need help with, let me know!

the vf-xx series turbos are very stout cossey… have the vehicle checked for an oil blockage no matter what the dealer says. does the legacy have AVCS ?.. if so there are banjo bolts in the oil feel line on both heads that subaru put out a tsb for to remove the inner screens in them in case of a blockage…if thay clogged causing oil starvation to the turbo that should be covered regardless of warranty… ive been down this road cossey… let me know what happens.

I was there to save the day, Vlad. Got to pick him up from the dealer at midnight in zub zero temps. VF40 ftw!

Indeed, Justin was there to help me and he knows it was greatly appreciated.
It was effing freezing. While I was waiting for the flatbed, I was scrambling to find every time slip/racer ticket in the car along with anything that could hint at me driving like the car was made for.

I called the dealership today to let them know what happened and so far they’ve been pretty compliant. I won’t know until tomorrow if it’s covered under the warranty, and if it is I should be getting a loaner car very shortly after that.

08 Impreza WRX loaner car anyone? lol

wishful thinking

Travis- I was well aware of that and when I was talking to the service manager at said dealership, I mentioned how I’ve read about several issues with the inner screen getting clogged and starving the turbo of oil. He responded “Wow, you know a lot more about that than I do.” So either he was being sarcastic or just plain dumb.

You should offer to run that Forester that’s been sitting there for like a year…it needs some miles on it :nod

Then I’ll wanna trade in the LGT… =(

NVM, it’s automagic.

Man this sucks…sorry to hear it…best of luck though

yeah hopefully the guy isn’t just being a smartass, but i don’t see how he could deny those little screens being installed. subaru isn’t the only manufacturer that does this either. vw is another i can think of off the top of my head that will put them in the banjo bolts to the fuel dizzy. i’m sure there are a handful of others as well.

my buddy has a 2.5xt forester. the thing is effing sick dude. its great cuz all the sti stuff is pretty much bolt on. i went for a ride in it, and it pulled so nice. pretty sure only mods he has are an sti exhaust too.

so thats y it wasnt at work, lol or u just had the day off… should of called me, i was at advance like 23232 times today… i forgot something everytime i stoped in.

Hooked- Who are you? lol

Still awaiting a response from the dealership, but if it comes to it, I saved the attorny general and BBB’s number in my phone.

You did flash the stock map back on right?

I don’t know what you’re talking about Vlad. =)

:ninja

i think what he was referring to is the street tune you described in the article you printed in the shift518 publication.

pwned