Blown head gasket or what!? need help!! plz

Hi guys just wondering… since a lot of ppl are telling me different things
just want to noe what you guys think.

Okay. my car over heats… it overheats during the day…but its fine during the night. there is the foam looking thing on the coolant when i open the rad.
There is no oil on the coolant, or white smoke going through my exhaust.
I do have a low compression on the 3rd cylinder. and after the car overheats… the coolant bubbles out of the resevoir… steaming and bubbling.

Let me noe what you guys think… thanks.

What engine?

dont worry bout what djkrystalfx says get the air out of your system. if that doesnt work, check your water pump and make sure your tstat works and that theres nothin else blocking coolant flow from the top to bottom.

And it doesnt matter what engine it is unless its a 72 air cooled beetle. god

and what if it is?

what if it is…

its is RB20… where can i get thermostats for it

CT

ct is $$$$

nappa or car quest…

a bad head gasket is very likely the problem. especially since you mentioned 3rd cylinder has low compression.

sometimes with headgaskets, you may not see any of the common symptoms at all.

if you want to verify the gasket, do a leakdown test. it will tell you if there is traces of combustion gases in the cooling system. Most shop should be able to do the test for you.

should it be the cooling system? like i should get bigger rad? bigger rad fan? better thermostat?

i was also wondering… if its the gasket shouldnt it overheat at night also? because at night… doesnt overheat at all… only overheats when the sun is up…

I would place my vote with the gasket aswell. Sounds similar to my situation, except I had white smoke. Big job though, so be absolutely sure thats what it is. Take it to a shop and say “Can you tell me whats wrong with my car, if it needs anything call me” and give them ur number, that way they cant just rip it apart and charge u a grand to fix it when u could possibly do it urself.

FMIC?
ac condensor?
big rad?

^these things can collect road debris and other shit (especially it seems the AC one) and this will lessen your air flow…

something to look into in regards to temp…

have you got a strong enough fans?

I know snap-on or any of the big tool companies sell a dye trace to check for exhaust/combustion chamber gases in your coolant… Might be a good idea before tear down. Its cheap and easy to do.

I have one electrical fan (small one)… and a stock rb20 rad…

a friend told me it could actually be the cooling system since its a built engine… i beleive the old owner blocked off the water lines that goes through the turbo… (since his turbo didnt need coolant to be cooled)

If it is the head gasket… since i have to drive it around… and head gasket swaps can take a week or so… should i buy a sealant for now? or screw that and just do the swap? any suggestions!?

start the car up… take the rad cap off and look for bubbling … and even do a coolant pressure test witht the plugs removed and listen for leaks in the cyls…

But if the the car is loosing coolant through the Overflow constantly… Sounds like a head gasket…

Im going to say head gasket. Does your oil have a runny coolant like look to it? you can taste it too, if its sweet like sugar your gaskets broke an oil passage way and may have joined to a coolant passageway which is why you would not be seeing any smoke.

When my KA HG went the overflow boiled over on any distance more than 30minutes and i was constantly filling the rad until i realized it wasn’t disappearing boiling out threw the reservoir but somehow getting into my oil which made a nastly sludge all in the motor and then i went SR.

taste it and then take it and use it as a lube to wack off if it burns you need a head gasket…

LOL… no im joking i have the same problem now, its most likl the head gasket.