BMW guys E36 M3

alright, doing a clutch, 3 bolts hold the starter, the top/middle one is in question it’s threaded into the bell housing AND starter ear. head was( before i got to it mind you…) broken off, anyone ever have to drill one of these bad boys out? it’s pretty close quarters for sure with the firewall/transmission tunnel being so close.

ive had to drill bolts out…not on a beamer.
its pretty straight forward

not when it’s the top bolt when you’re trying to remove a transmission, it’s in a tight place… i’ve got the entire powertrain lowered on longer audi subframe bolts down about 4 inches and i can at least get a drill motor in where i used to only be able to get a 36" long extension from behind the trans.

well i guess i cant help ya then

3 bolts do NOT hold the starter. 2 bolts on each ear, and a dowel in the middle thats a very big pita. All threads on the top of the tranny thread into the motor, not the tranny. so if anything is snapped it should still slide off. However you will not be able to slide it off unless you tilt the front of the motor to its upmost position.

Its even more fun trying to get the tranny back on.

ahahah…not funny dickhead

oh shit…

there are two starter options, one has a hole, one has threads, hack master flex was working on this car last i think b/c the bolt was threaded into the starter AND the transmission and the bolt head promptly broken off when it bound up and left for dead by the last hack under the hood. car has been apart a few times. lowered subframe with steering shaft disconnected with the longer audi bolts and drilled it out… tranny is on the bench, life is good, and i’m done for the week, 4:58 CLUNK of the “proverbial” time clock, i’m going home. peace!

lol the dowel was so corroded on one starter I did that i couldn’t pry it out, I had to unthread (if tha tmakes sense) the whole thing

accidentally the whole thing?

ughh, i accidently my tranny a couple times already. the whole thing.

at once? did you have to lube?>