Bimmer dudes that have done their clutch...

I am like 80% close to having the trans dropped, I just can not get to the top two bolts, anyone have a tip or trick to get to them?

http://www.drivenxdiscovery.com/BMW/trannybolts.jpg

http://www.drivenxdiscovery.com/BMW/transbolts.jpg

I don’t even have enough room to get my hand up there to get a socket on it

u need like a 3ft extension, 12in extension and maybe a 6 or something.

pull the tranny down and go at it from the back

i was able to barely slip my hand up along the trans to guide the socket onto the bolt.

edit: you have dropped the trans x member right?

I tried extensions with pivots and it drove me nuts.

I used a ratchet that was broken off so it was tiny. bolts weren’t torqued down more than it could handle, and it fit there.

and wrd to taking off the xmember and letting your trans get its lean on

11 is a dowel pin on the starter. remove the starter. this may require hits with a mallet

Those were the biggest pain in the ass on my brothers bimmer, we used a bunch of extensions,a swivel and alot of swear words.

3ft extension and swivel socket

I have 2x12" extensions and like a 6" all with a wobble heads and I can’t guide a socket on it, my arms are too fucking big (and I am a scrawny mother fucker)… I can never get swivel sockets to work right, I always just end up breaking them.

EDIT: x-member is dropped, like there is seriously nothing on the bottom of my car right now but the Engine cradle.

Next time I am buying a GTO so much easier to work on.

On a completely unrelated note why the hell is the bottom of the car painted an olive green… I sort of like it

longer extensions. i had the ratchet behind the end of the tranny when i did it. you can also put a jack on the front of the egine to tilt it down more. just be cause u dont go too much

put tape on the swivels, it keeps them from swiveling too much…

Too bad you don’t live in buffalo I literally have 25feet of extensions.

shallow socket with the univerial built, maybe go buy one. Thats how I get to most of them

There are 2 easy ways to do it…

im assuming you mean bolts 2/3

they were the BIGGEST pita

first is you NEED to put a blcok of wood underneath the front of the engine and lift to tilt the trans back towards teh ground…

make sure you take off the fan blade and the shroud around the cabin air filter out… or else they will hit

Then you can do it one of 2 ways…

you can use a torx socket wrench to take it off from the top… but if its the first time the trans has been off they will be on there at a billion lb/ft of torque

the otehr way is some 3/8 in extensions… iwent to HF and bought a kit they had for like 12 bux that gave me a 36" and a 24"

i hooked those up to a old torque wrench and broke it loose… once they are loose it literally takes nothing to spin them out…

the dowel pin is GOING to be stuck… so make sure you have a flat head screwdriver to pound up from the bottome to wedge the trans free… its the only way to break it loose…

then you need to turn it JUST a little bit to clear the tunnel and pull it back…

i must have pulled the trans on my car 6-7 times during my clutch issues…

call me if you have any qustions 716.316.3676

Got it, about 48" of wobble extensions, using the drive shaft as a wall to lean up and a lot of dart practice, got it on like the third time, thank god for a 36" breaker bar, and this is definitely the first time the trans has been off. Now for the fight with the dowel of doom…

I learned I also need a new BFH, I broke a lb rubber mallet trying to tap a prybar in between the trans and motor.

Thanks for the help…

unbolt the steering shaft from the rack, (mark it & lock the steering wheel/remove key) lower the engine on the subframe bolts and it’ll buy you another inch to play with to get an extension. i had to drill out one of those top bolts and i had plenty of room with the subframe and engine lowered on some longer Audi subframe bolts.

before you put the trtans back on, hit the dowel pin up with some 600 grit sand paper, and toss a LITTLE litium grease on it… will make putting the trans back on A TON easier…

but you WILL need 2 people to put the trans back in… without gravity, its kind of a bitch… you will probably have to use the bolts to PULL it back in… you can wrestle it close adn then use the bolts to pull it the rest of the way (around an inch)

Its just not coming off, I have a slight gap all around, it won’t budge… and I have no more BFH to help

Ouch i did mine a few weeks ago but I was able to remove things from the engine to look down and get at a few from the top. When the trans is stuck like yours is try to shake it side by side. Unless it is still on the splines in which case try to get equal force on both sides of the housing and pull.

lol amateurs. I replaced my tranny thursday night and it took me 3hrs total.:smiley:

only issues i have is the dowel on the starter not inserting straight into the hole. you need to jack up the front of the engine so it tilts the tranny down. this should allow you enough room to snake an extension up top.

It only took me two days. :meh:

so far I have 8 hours into it, but the fucking thing is stuck, I think it is still on the splines, I can shake it and move it a bit, not budging though… FML

EDIT: And no one ever says anything about bolt no. 10 (right side of the tranny into the metal plate)

EDITx2: Would probably be better if it wasn’t 105 out either