BoA: Keep the Change

I currently have savings accounts at HSBC and M+T. My primary checking is at M+T and for various reasons I haven’t been satisfied.

I’m aware of the high stature of BoA’s credit lines, which is a positive, however I also have heard plenty of negative things about BoA as well.

Furthermore, BoA’s “Keep the Change” program is very intriguing to me, and may be enough motivation to change primary banks from M+T to BoA, pending on individuals’ experiences and opinions.

Can anyone provide any insight to this program or BoA in general?

On the flip side, I love M+T’s accessibility across WNY.

I used it.

It takes your purchase and rounds up putting that money into your savings. It then matches it. It doesn’t round it up nice and neatly in your account until the end of the month then just does a lump sum transfer.

They will match it for 3 months, and caps out at around $250.

Ex.)

Purchase coffee for 4.15 at Starbucks.
It will show up on your bank statement as 4.15 at Starbucks, but keeps track of your monthly “keep the change”.
At the end of the month you will be deducted x amount from your checking for keep the change and transferred into your savings which they will then match it.

Def a nice way to save money but even though I use my card A LOT it was still a minute amount for me to keep the account active.

Oh, that’s lame that it’s only processed monthly, it’d be odd to just see a transaction:

11/30/08 Keep the change -212.78

Would your “current balance” reflect the account before KtC or after it?

What if you didn’t have that amount in your checking account? Would it pull it out of savings, dump it in your checking and then put it back into savings? :lol:

Also, monthly it would match? so theoretically you could make $750 off BoA? Certainly there must have been some clause associated with it?

I have BoA and it does an daily transfer to savings for me, not monthly. just saying.

http://photos.e46fanatics.com/data/500/ktc.JPG

I hated BOA.

I have about 6-7 incidents of simple bank errors that required far too much ever to get corrected. At the branch, over the phone, you name it. In fact I had to go in & close my deposit accounts 3 times before they’d stop sending statements showing it open @ $0.00.

But, to you point keep the change was a nice little feature I suppose. At least it was during the “matching period”, beyond that promo it seems really stupid to me. Convenient, but only for people that “can’t save” in the first place.

Same with me, it doesnt do it monthly.

Word, maybe they just changed their shit up over the last so many years. It’s moderately interesting, I guess I need to do a bit more research.

I’ve never paid attention, but I feel as though there aren’t that many branches or accessible ATMs. M+T on the other hand, is everywhere.

If you make a point to never touch your savings…it’s a good way to put money away each year and have something saved without conscientiously thinking about it.

Josh can you comment on how much matching they do?

Call my Girlfriend at her branch 822-4601 ask her any questions you have. Her name is Sarah. Tell her mike told you to call her if you want.

I will delete anyone that pranks her, and they have caller ID so dont be Fggts.

Pics first before I call. Just kidding, thanks for the heads up.

Maybe they updated it. Mine last year only did it monthly for me.

I belive just $250. Understandingly so though. I already thought how i could buy gas and always stop it at $1.01 until i fill the tank and earn myself much dollars. BoA has already figured that out though. :sigh:

I just switched and its awesome.

It rounds up each transaction and moves the change to your savings which is nice for people who suck at savings and all.

I also heard if you have a higher limit savings account, you can qualify for a certain percentage of matching above 250 each year or setup some type of monthly transfers. I never got the full details but might be something to look into.

If someone used this feature as their only method of savings, perhaps they’d be best off reconsidering their financial situation.

Anyways, thanks for the replies. I’m going to look into some of the other intangibles before making a decision.

hmm im gonna sign up…

If you sign up online with a checking and keep the change savings you dont have a min to hold in the savings.

I am in the process of moving all my money to them. If you want too, I can get you a free $25 deposit in your account too so PM me

Its a stupid scam…

They don’t MATCH any money until the 1 year anniversary of you being enrolled in the program.

While they have your money in the “Savings” account, it earns half of one percent…

They will only MATCH an amount equal to the amount in your savings up to the balance of your savings account, so if you cheat and transfer money out, they won’t match it.

It only earns .05? That’s a crock of shit lol.

I was going to use the spare change to start some menial DRIPS account

Once you get the 250 bucks or whatever they match, just close that account, and put the money into something else.