Bogging And Overheating

The Sunbird is doing an array of things. I was wondering if anyone could help. My car is overheating into the red. And it is REALLY REALLY bogging bad when you go from a dead stop. Any ideas?

for the over heating did you check the coolant level? also check the thermostat to see if its opening when its supposed to.

my guess? head gasket.

its a problem with your fuel filter solenoid housing gasket’s fuse. It probably just needs to be swapped out. In order to fix, you must position the car on a slight downgrade so no fuel gets into the housing silicone. See pic for reference.

Put the car in neutral with the e-brake on. Climb into the backseat and remove the seatbelts. Then you must release the e-brake to gain clearence to the housing. Then wait about 10 seconds.

Once you get this far, e-mail me and I’ll give you the rest of the instructions.

darkstar, be serious.

it’s either his headgasket or his muffler bearing.

sunhawk: did you get performance muffler bearings?

what does your coolant or oil look like

if they are still two seperate fluids…

my bad, forgot completly about the muffler bearings.

you could have a clogged cat causing all that pack pressure to stay in the motor and bog it out while overheating it severly, dont listen to some of these dicks

heh… that made me think of the scene in Scary Movie where Shawn Wayans gets stabbed in the ear with a cock.

change your fuel filter and check your plugs then look under your car after a small drive and see if your cat is glowing red ! then go from there. also check your coolant overflow have you had to refill it lately ? white or black smoke when u start your car ?

more than likely headgasket or a clogged cat like quik said hope its the later

It must be his radiator timing. Duh.

J/K… but what does he expect when he can’t even post a serious question like this in one of the tech. forums, or at least On Topic. :rolleyes:

Anyway, there’s some good advice in this thread. First of all… stop driving the car before the needle gets in the red, you’re just doing more damage. Next, like Silver said are you getting any smoke? Blue = oil, white (steam) = coolant, black = fuel (too rich of a mixture… but that’s probably not your problem since you’re having overheating which is usually associated with being too lean if it’s a fuel problem). If the smoke is just at startup it’s probably valve seals. If it’s under WOT it’s rings (if it’s blue oil smoke) or the head gasket (or both). If it’s the same motor that was in my old Cavy and Darkstain’s Cavy too they’re known for head gasket problems. His and mine both blew the head gasket. I don’t know 'bout his but mine if you pulled the plugs and cranked the motor it actually spit coolant out one of the spark plug holes!!!

Oh, and you might as well pull the plugs and read them. Here’s a decent reference: http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/spkplghnbook.htm While you’re at it do a compresion and leak-down test.

Ohhhh, but before you do that make sure your coolant is full. :kekegay:

-TJ

mine did that too, but you didnt have to pull the plugs. :embarassd: