over heating

ok here it is. my moms car is having problems overheating.

i remember a few months ago riding in it and the temp being in the normal range and no heat coming out.

i havent driven it in a long long time now she tells me that its over heating and not dropping down anymore.

give me some ideas i have only one. but i dont want to say it so that i dont sway some thoughts.

its a 97 rustang droptop with a 3.8 in it.

Sorry to say it, but it sounds like a head gasket to me.

no heat as in heater inside of car?

thermastat
fan maybe

Originally posted by darkstain
no heat as in heater inside of car?

yea exactly. the heater is puttin out nothing.

when my water pump when i was leaking coolant, which caused me to overheat and not put any heat in the car

maybe the heater core is clogged

heater core clogged or thermostat were my two ideas. not quite sure though.

everytime i had no heat it was because low coolant… and the bottle on the side of the engine bay was empty… or thermastat

sounds like a bad thermostat should have that checked before it turns into a bad head gasket and then your talking alot more time and money into a rustang:D

what color coolant is in it, is it the new pink shit or is it the old green shit and how many miles are on the car???

yep i’d try putting in more coolant and check the thermostat:D

also
Mustangs are notorious for heater cores and water pumps:
well the foxs were atleast. :tounge:

I think your head gaskets just pooped on you. Any white/blue smoke out the exhaust? 3.8 ford engines are teh head gasket eaterz! :mad: Try the easy thing of replacing of the thermostat. Maybe even a coolant flush. Another way to check if your head gaskets went is to check for milky looking oil.

wellim driving it today for the first time ni a long time… so ill check it out and see whats up. hopefully its just low coolant or a bad thermostat

well, whats the problem:confused:

i took it down to firestone and there was absolutely no coolant in the engine so i tossed on a rack and changed the oil topped of the coolant and hoped that nothing happens.

more then likely its a head gasket but there is no milky oil resadue… the guy there said the same thing happened to his taurus with a 3.8 and he got no milky oil but it was just goin right into his exhaust so i have to check for that sometime this weekend. hopefully it just had a leak but more then likely not. :mad:

Originally posted by flyinglow57
i took it down to firestone and there was absolutely no coolant in the engine so i tossed on a rack and changed the oil topped of the coolant and hoped that nothing happens.

more then likely its a head gasket but there is no milky oil resadue… the guy there said the same thing happened to his taurus with a 3.8 and he got no milky oil but it was just goin right into his exhaust so i have to check for that sometime this weekend. hopefully it just had a leak but more then likely not. :mad:
:eek2: I hope it works out ok for yah.

If you don’t have any coolant you are gonna overheat and are gonna have no heat… Pressure test it and see where its leaking from… watch the pressure see if it drops, if it does look for a leak, or if don’t see a leak, pull the dip stick and see if oil level rises or changes color like coolant is leaking. if thats your maybe and intake or head gasket.

pressure test yeeeeeessss thats the ticket

if you live up near shaler…, i could bring my pressure tester home from work one night, and would help you out. let me know…