boycottegas.com

boycottegas.com

pretty cool site.

some car dealer in gta staretd it, and on th day of the draw, there going to pick one gas stations name out of a hat, and eevryone who is down with it, wil be boycotting that staion for one month.

im going to do it.

thought ide pass it on.

i seen this on the news, but i thought wouldnt this just give a reason for the other companies to raise their prices?

the website doesnt work…

http://www.boycottgas.ca/ ??

If so, you were just a little off! :lol:

But yeah, it’d be interesting to see the impact if things actually made it to a large-scale, because I have no clue what kind of impact, if any, the market/companies would feel.

Heck, it could even backfire for all we know.

heh my wife proposed such a thing, to boycott the gas prices… i think of it too, but how many people would one need to protest (a million people lol) that the greedy government and gas companies would give a damn. As much as I sound pesimistic, that is the truth… although I commend and support people who would boycott the prices.

on the topic of gas, Many esso stations ran out of Regular so there selling premium at regular prices ( which are not so regular).

I think it would be more appropriate, if we boycotted the company that had the highest gas prices of that month. Although hard to tell and most of the companies are relatively the same prices.

yea you can also screw with them when they say you are limited to 75L… but in the end they won’t notice it on their bottom line… they make more money jacking the price up .1 than they lose by 100 people avoiding them

what I noticed is that when there is a real crisis like 2 weeks ago when production slowed and cn rail went on strike a bunch of stations ran out of gas but the price only went up incrementally (sure it kept going up but not quickly)

and the prices went up proportionally less over the period where there were mass shortages than they do on a typical holiday or even weekend… if the average price delta for low and high price in a normal week is similar to a “crisis”… you know they are lying to you 99.99% of the time

it’s too bad you can’t make a deal with a particular station like you’ll always go there if he gives you 5 cents off or something … now say you could do that with a bunch of friends in the area, like everyone in markham could deal with 1 station, but again they wouldn’t care so it’ll never happen

Boycotts of gas stations will not have much of an effect in the long run. Gas stations since time begins are known to be guilty of “collusion” - Collusion is a term to refer to acts of cooperation or collaboration among rival entities.

This is partly a reason why you hear of price fixing and also companies all changing their prices at the same time which would not make sense as diffrent companies should try to market their product to be in competition. If you dont buy gas at Esso for a month Esso will not care seeing as unless every driver stopped for a long period of time it would not effect their profits that much. There are alot of things that could effect pump prices but boycotting wont work in the end for this problem I feel.
Unfortunatly for us gasoline is essential for our economy to continue to function as it does today untill that changes the gas station will just wait it out because you need to get gas sometime. If anything boycotts of individual stations might increase prices as other stations will know you are limited in choice now and thus you will pay the higher price out of need.

Just get the petro canada citibank mastercard. 2 cents a litre off, all the time if you go to a petro canada. It adds up in the long run, and there is no downside in using it.

What do you know, it’s mentioned on the CityNews’ website!

Figures they’d randomly pick Sunoco, the only station with our precious 94.

sunoco is the only place I ever “try” to go because of the caa discount… but only if there’s price parity since 1% towards caa is less than 1 cent usually, therefore if I save 2 going elsewhere they get my money

my guess is someone knew sunoco was the only one ever convicted of price-fixing and therefore would be least offensive as a choice

Actually as it happens, Sunoco was randomly pulled “out of a hat”.

Have a look:
http://www.boycottgas.ca

This has also apparently made it to Global National now as well, with numbers now supposedly reaching 60,000+.

Should be interesting…here is Sunoco’s take and other details (from City News) :

What does Sunoco think about the threat?

“It’s … well not something anybody really welcomes,” begins spokesperson Tricia Anderson. "We’re going to watch the situation very, very closely. "

As for how the family decides who to target, it’s almost as unscientific as gas pricing itself.

They put a bunch of golf balls in a jerry can and picked one. They plan on doing the same thing next month.