Nationwide Boycott on Gas Wed. May 19th

Guess a lot of the people all over the nation are boycotting the gas prices. So if you need gas fill up tonight. Im boycotting and i dont care if i run out of gas on my way to work or not. I wont be buying a fucking red cent worth of gas. It would be better if we could get 3/4 of teh country to not buy gas for a week but 1 day is a start. Id much rather see us start pricewars and such cause in the end we really wouldnt be hurting outselves.

ya these gas prices are out of hand, im getting another car tomorrow and if i need gas then im going to borrow some from my firehall and fill it up the next day hehe

if people were smart, which they arent, they would boycott one gas company all together. Like Texaco or something. THat would force them to lower their prices, which would force others to lower their prices. This “boycott day” bullshit isnt gonna do jack shit. Everyone is just gonna go fill up the next day… And in all fairness, in Britain and the rest of Europe gas has been about $4-5 a gallon for YEARS

Brits also get free health care. yeah i know they are taxed to death too. I wish america could go on a week long boycott like i said. But, the odds of that happening are like 11 billion / 1. I can see rising prices and stuff but gas rising over a dollar in a fcuking year is a little rediculous. And there are too many big gas companies to just choose one to boycott. Best bet is to find teh cheapest on in town and buy gas there non stop. I buy gas for 2.17 for 93. Dude gets bomb threats from other gas stations to raise the price of his gas. So your idea might end up backfiring cause there a lot of greedy fuckin people out there, and im sure theyre willing to kill their competition.

are you serious… you are like the SUV drivers that want to boycott the gas prices… buy a electric car if you have a problem with gas prices… like darkstar said our gas prices are cheap anyway

:bluez28:

eh

with any luck, the higher gas prices will cause manufacturers to bring out more fuel efficient cars.

as a side note, my boss’s father-in-law is a COO of an oil company. He says gas prices will peak the week of memorial day, and then fall off to a little below what they are now…that’ll be the new “normal” price. whether any of this it true, i don’t know.

oh in and 1st to call the bullshit on the COO

i’m only echoing what my boss said. if it is bullshit, then it’s on him.

thats fine with me

bullshit

No theres not… Pick a big one like Texaco. If enough people boycott it, I’d say a 15-20% reduction due in their sales due to a boycott would force them to reduce their prices. But you also have to remember, they are getting charged more for the oil by the Arabs, so a lot of the price increase isnt their fault. Boycotting wont really do much of anything. Nothing short of a massive embargo/war could really force OPEC to lower their prices. They pretty much have us by the balls. But if one were to try a boycott, thats the way to do it.

when i was in europe in 92 to 95 they were paying 2 dollars a litre…i hate to see what they are paying now

if people boycott gas they will raise the prices higher…becuase they will lose money and all of those people will eventually have to buy gas…so whoever boycotts gas loses in the end…Its not like we’re tricking the gas companies and making them think that we are never gonna get gas again

I think the theory behind the boycott is that opec and the big companies won’t just suck up the 4.6 billion dollar loss for one day. they are greedy fucks. that is the concept whether that will work is beyond me. I won’t be buying gas tomorrow in hopes I can stick it to the oil companies…by the way the mid-east isn’t who is fucking us the most it is venezualia(sp) they have a civil war going on and lost control of their oil mines to rebels that helped raise prices and the other OPEC nations are cutting back…lets all put money in buy 100k dollars in gas stock and sit on it for about 4 years…then we can be a bunch of pittspeed retired folk with millions

Yeah then they would end up sticking us twice as bad in teh end. they will always make their money. Only way to actually cut gas prices is to stop driving all together. if everyone in america would take on week off and not do a god damn thing involving a car or any type of transportation. i think the message would be sent pretty clear. but its never gonna happen. And if you boycott one company arent the others gonna cut costs. and besides there are different types of gas stations all across the united states. like theres only one or 2 bp gas stations within a 15 mile radius of my house… but theres about 10 marathons and such. wont work because they can still make up the losses in a different area.

How would they end up sticking us twice as bad in the end? In general economic terms, a reduction in demand will equate to a raise in price. However, if one of the large companies were to suddenly start losing tons of business to other companies, they would have to do something to get sales up.

Everyone not driving for a week would send no message. All it would say is that theres a few people that can not drive for a week. Its the equivalent of a little kid saying “Im gonna hold my breath until you buy me that candy bar”. The parent knows the kid can only hold his breath for so long, and will eventually have to breathe again.

As far as the making up for it at other locations, that makes no sense. Corporate profits dont have anything to do with where the gas was bought from. If a boycott could cut Texaco’s sales 20%, that would eat up a good bit of their profits. they would have to drop the price or go out of business. Then once Texaco cuts its prices a good bit, the other companies would have to follow because they would be losing all their business to Texaco. If there were a company that would put a cap on its gas prices, say… $1.50 a gallon, there would be a line around the block to get gas there.

in teh end they can end up sticking us twice as bad. just because the name is franchised out does not mean the owner wil conform to the same price the companies put on it. only thing you will be doing is hurting smaller business. or it could go the other way and you do get the big oil companies to drop their prices but what if the people that own the gas stations dont?

everyone not driving for a week as in no work, no nothing. would fuck up enough shit to get the message across i think.

and ive seen price wars between gas stations ive seen gas go for 60 cents a gallon a few years back. it was unreal and it was just a few gas stations… it lasted the summer and that was about it. the people that ran the gas stations fucked themselves royally for a year and raised the prices enough to make up for the losses they took during the gas war. gas war = short term and it comes back because teh price is usually a little bit higher all be it a penny or so to make up for the difference.

if you can even understand what im saying… its 3 am and im goin to bed… work at 11am owns me :frowning:

it won’t work, either EVERYONE will buy gas on the 18th, or the 20th. so it would increase thier sales on both of those days, so its not gonna work

civic=42mpg…therefore i’m good till next week