Brake Pad fell off....

So my rear pads (one side worse than the other) are in rough shape, my parts from rockauto come into tomorrow and weather provided me and a friend should be able to get them installed.

So my question is besides beating the rotor up some more (have new ones coming in) and it being a obnoxious noise, is there anything else I should worry about that will bite me in the ass.

Also how bad will it be to drive to work tomorrow and then to buddies to work on car?

Whats the car??

2008 subaru impreza 2.5i

until tomorrow your car will be fine

ok if by chance it can’t get done tomorrow due to rain and has to be done thursday, any potential issues there? That would be the absolute latest it can get done.

Is there any meat left at all on the rear pad? Even if there’s not you’ll be fine until thursday just don’t go rally-x’ing the damn thing :slight_smile:

Drivers side rear has meat, the passenger fell off but had been bare metal for about week and half.

if there is no inboard pad you run the risk of destroying your caliper piston.

yea dont do it. the SAME EXACT thing happened to me; I was waiting for brake pads and rotors to come in from rock auto and I kept driving. The damn pad fell out of the caliper and ruined the caliper piston. It was drivable for a bit while I waited for a new seal and piston to come in, but the caliper needed to be built regardless. Thankfully I was only going 5mph when it decided to fall out.

to the OP: go to advance instead of saving 20 bux next time

The saving for ceramic parts was much more than 20 bucks…

sigh

Don’t rear brakes only come on if you’re hard on the pedal?

what I did was buy the cheapest shit I could find and took them off when the new parts come in. should take you less than a half hour to change if the piston didnt come out.

pressure is equal in all directions; the front pistons have more surface area so there is more force acting on them, along with the benefit of weight transfer under hard braking. :slight_smile:

is the backing plate still there? If it is it will be fine for a day or so.

no pad+ etended caliper= lossin brake pedal and possible risk of no brakes. do not put other motorist at risk

Less time posting useless crap on twitter, more time maintaining your daily driver. :stuck_out_tongue:

WHA?

Played it safe and working from home today, really hope weather holds out long enough for me to get it done this late afternoon once the parts get here. Friend doesn’t get out of work until 4.

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

No more than minute after posting that, Fedex range the bell parts are here… wow rear pads sure are small…

why wait? brakes are an easy driveway job.

Never done it before and not sure if I have the proper tools.