Brake rotors and the screws that hold them on

I changed the pads and rotors on my 01 accord a month ago and the rotors from rock auto werent 100% right; the holes for the little phillips screw didnt line up. Rock auto had them perpendicular to the wheel stud holes, while honda has them at an angle.

I figured they dont really matter because most cars dont have them so I said forget it and put it together.

now, when I hit my brakes relatively hard there is this noise, hard to describe, it doesnt sound bad but ill definitely get it looked at next time I get my oil changed (too cold out now to do it myself)

Could not having that screw hurt anything? (all calipers/brackets/wheel studs were torqued)

I usually don’t put that screw in.

Yeah that thing’s just to hold the rotor on before the wheels get put on during assembly at the factory.

That screw is not structural so it won’t cause noise if everything is torqued like you said.

Try to describe the noise. Is it a clicking? Like a small block of wood clicking? Could be the brake pads shifting slightly if there’s play in them.

no, no clicking or grinding. it just sounds like the pads bite more. idk really…

So it’s a chomping noise?

Are the pads the same as you’ve previously used? Could just be a new pad compound that sounds different. I know going from OEMs to various Cobalt pads, I’d get various new noises, especially warm vs. cold, hard vs. soft on brakes. Nothing alarming.

As long as you’re going in for an oil change, it certainly doesn’t hurt to inspect them for abnormal wear or rubbing. Also, when you arrive some place, check your front wheels to see if they’re too hot.

lift is open
garage is 70