Break Up Facebook / Amazon / Google?

You’re talking about entirely different things in this conversation.

Net neutrality and monopolies

The net neutrality thing works its self out without government involvement.

The Google/Facebook thing is how much control do you want private companies to have over your internet experience including search and what you see. My guess is Facebook will MySpace its self given enough time. Facebook has reached a point where its not getting new user growth and younger generation don’t use it.

Google is pretty diverse however its already eating its self over issues like building a censored search engine for china or its involvement in AI for the military.

I would love to see Google broken up it’s never a good thing to have a single company collecting that amount of data across the board on people.

AOL at one point has 24 million dial up subs and a ton of control and look at them now.

If you want to talk about computer related issues that seriously harm the US…China hacking into US companies stealing things and nobody caring should probably be above all of these things.

0 Likes

Of the three Google is definitely the one I find the most potential for an antitrust case and even that’s a stretch. Like someone said, in 1981 if you wanted a home phone it came from AT&T and you had no other option. Google has become ubiquitous for internet search but if you don’t want to give all your data to a leftist SJW company you can easy go over to duckduckgo.com or a bunch of other search providers. And even though google is in a lot more than just search (email, phones, thermostats, home automation, self driving cars etc etc etc) all those other places also have plenty of competition and choice.

Information is power and google has around a 75% market share on internet search engine use. I’m not sure how that falls under antitrust when you have a choice but it’s definitely a concern when 75% of the information is being funneled to people by one company. That company hasn’t been shy about their politics either with their open resistance to Trump and their basically open door to the prior administration’s white house.

0 Likes

“Sorry Mr Company, you are too successful and everyone likes your business. Not enough people like your competition. Please do a worse job so others can provide a shittier service at a potentially greater cost.”

1 Like

I can’t wait for 5G. Cord cutting is going to accelerate like crazy, I know it’ll be my reason to do so.

Isn’t Google working on their own wireless network? Or are they just reselling existing networks?

0 Likes

:thinking:

0 Likes

0 Likes

I can’t remember exactly over what, but I think Amazon lost the ACLU a while ago. No so much in support but now Amazon is on their radar.

0 Likes

You should all watch The Creepy Line on Amazon. It’s all about this, has Jordan Peterson and well produced.

0 Likes

Somewhat related, Interesting infographic from 2018:

0 Likes

Progressives get their way, Amazon pulls out of NY:

it was a remarkable win for insurgent progressive politicians led by Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, whose upset victory last year happened to occur in the district where Amazon had planned its site. Her win galvanized the party’s left flank, which mobilized against the deal.

Under the plan, within 15 years the company could occupy as much as eight million square feet of office space, including office buildings for as many as 40,000 workers.

While polls show that 70% of New Yorkers support our plans and investment, a number of state and local politicians have made it clear that they oppose our presence and will not work with us to build the type of relationships that are required to go forward with the project

0 Likes

There ya go assholes!

Anyone see the proposed legislation to separate NY into two states?

I bet our taxes would drop, and democrats would lose a couple of electoral votes with NYC out of the picture.

Imagine what we could charge NYC for NF’s power plant.

0 Likes

This is Amazing. It’s out there that maybe Amazon is actually bluffing on the move and holding out for better terms, lol.

0 Likes

3 billion in incentives for the worlds most valuable public company to build an HQ2 here never sat well with me either, and I’m pretty far from the progressive end of the spectrum.

0 Likes

they should put a major hub in TX or St. Louis over NYC.

0 Likes

I never really cared about this because there has to be some incentive for Amazon to go NY over TN or TX.

There is still so much upside to Amazon. Some of which we haven’t even realized yet.

NY is really going to miss out on that asteroid mining money :face_with_monocle:

0 Likes

So De Blasio is shitting on AOC over this…

“[The state] would have effectively been paying out $3 billion in incentives [over 10 years] for what would have likely been the equivalent of $27 billion over 25 years. You can play with the math, and you can tell me that there were going to be additional costs, and there likely would have been, but if I handed you $3 billion and you gave me $25 billion back, or you gave me $15 billion back, or $10 billion back, that could have been used for roads, schools, police, and subways, I think that’s a good deal.” - De Blasio

vs.

“We were subsidizing those jobs so for… the city was paying for those jobs. So frankly, if we were willing to give Amazon three…if we were willing to give away $3 billion for this deal, we could invest those $3 billion in our district ourselves if we wanted to. We could hire out more teachers, we could fix our subway…” - AOC

So she actually thought the state had $3B cash on hand to give to Amazon. And now that Amazon is gone the state can spend that money elsewhere… except the $3B doesn’t exist.

0 Likes

When De Blasio is the voice of reason AGAINST a progressive I know the end of times is near.

0 Likes

AOC is dangerous.

0 Likes

Cuomo too:

“A small group of politicians put their own narrow political interests above their community … the state’s economic future and the best interests of the people of this state,” Cuomo said in a statement… adding that those who opposed the plan should be “held accountable for the lost economic opportunity.”

0 Likes

TLDR: startups design business models around FB giving them access to certain data, then FB pulls accident to that data.

0 Likes