breakline repair

Can you repair a breakline leak with a rubber pressure hose???

You can, but it’s not recommended and i have heard of shops failing inspections because of it. Get a length of steel line with the connectors and a flaring tool and splice the line.

Is it leaking from corrosion or from impact?

-edit- This probably should find it’s way to technical. :tup:

ur brake lines under 1000 of lbs of pressure. using rubber hose will be un safe. brake line is like 8 dollars for 4 feet. cut the old lines out use a 6 point socket to get the old fittings out of the caliper/wheel cylinder let gravity bleed most the line the bleed the brakes and your set. it fails inspection and so does compression fittings. using rubber hos is almost as bad as the guy who came into work for a inspection and he used 2 pairs of vise grips to cut fluid off to the line because his calipers were leaking.

im pretty sure if u just pull the whole line and take it to a muffler shop or sumn that they will bend u up a new one for like 5 bucks

the hose is pressure rated, but any clamp you use to install it is not. If the line is not too corroded, you can cut out the bad section, reflare it, then make a new piece and install it with two unions.

as joe said, compression fittings are also unsafe.

its pretty much just corrosion. Its in a REAL shitty spot though. Like I may need to take the A frame “I think thats what its called” off to get to it.

I was thinking just to add the compression fittings also, but if they also suck, then might as well just replace the entire thing i guess.

u dont have to route exactly like the old on just keep it away from moving parts

You cannot use rubber hose to replace brake line. It is illegal. You must use double wall steel tubing.

just cut out the corroded spots, and reroute it around the frame.

You can get a tube flaring tool for under 10 bucks at harbor freight.

I used one on 5/16 transmission oil cooler lines, works fine.

It also bends the lines and flares them properly.

Do not use rubber hose—totally unsafe
Compression fitting is a low pressure repair, you need to do a double flare to the line
the compression fitting also will not pass NY inspection (added 9/04)
just replace the line if a section of it rotted out chances are the remainder of the line is not in great shape either

so…can he use a rubber hose or no?

lol

compression fittings are a bad idea, just fix it with a hardline. go to autozone or advance and get a line and bend her up

I’ve heard the double-flare tools are very expensive, so unless you can find a place that will rent you one, find a pre-flared line that is the right length and use that. The tough part here is that you need to go from block to block with the line, and if one of those gets screwed up youre going to end up replacing a lot more shit. Fun stuff.

Fortunately I havent had to dick around with rusted brake lines since my high school cars.

autozone has both the tool to rent and the lines with fittings already on them

there you have it then!

not really if u buy the best my mack one was like 198 i think maybe less. but i do brake lines often. if you are doing it once in a blue moon goto harbor frieght they got some cheap tools

Be a man and just use the rubber hose.

It will make driving much more exciting.