Budget build

^I am skeptical because I have removed everything you speak of before and do not remember a;

Day 1 - 13 Nov. 2008
Lightened by 120 lbs

• carpets
  • spare tire
  • rear seats, seatbelts
  • antenna, motor
  • rear speakers, mounting brackets
  • jack

weighing even half that

but hey I must have removed like 300lbs from my s14, by your math;

floor tar, Air, Airbags, carpet, rear seats, JDM rebar,

I left a full size spare and jack though.

wiki; S13:

headunit, speakers, and rear speaker brackets - 15.4lbs

driver and passenger door panels - 11.8lbs

plastic backseat panels - 5.0lbs

plastic B-pillar panels to back - 3.0lbs

back seats - 20.8lbs

hatch wall carpeting, plastic rear speaker panels, and rear floor mats - 20.6lbs

rear wiper, motor, grommet, and blade - 3.0lbs

jack tools, jack cover cardboard, random gray foam pads - 6.4lbs

rear strut covers, miscellaneous brackets & stuff - 2.8lbs

shift boot & panel - 0.6lbs

hatch area carpeting - 3.2lbs

A/C compressor, condenser, reservoir, & some piping - 29.2lbs

windshield wiper reservoir (full of fluid), bracket, & associated tubing - 9.0lbs

PAIR valve, actuator, bracket, and fasteners - 3.0lbs

sound deadening (Round 1) box was 1 pound - 10.8lbs

main carpet (from floorboard to rear seats) - 11.8lbs

glovebox - 3.2lbs

gauge cluster bezel - 1.6lbs

automatic seatbelts & lapbelt assemblies - 20.0lbs

power antenna - 2.0lbs

headliner, reading lamps, and shades - 4.0lbs

miscellaneous plastic pieces - 3.6lbs

plastic passenger floorboard panel (under glovebox) - 1.6lbs

center console - 3.0lbs

ABS unit mounting bracket - 3.2lbs

ABS unit - 15.8lbs

PS resevoir - 2.0lbs

PS line - 1.4lbs

fuel catch can & bracket - 1.8lbs

HICAS solenoid - 6.4lbs

rear HICAS rack - 10.8lbs

rear HICAS distribution block - 5.2lbs

clutch loop - 1.41bs

battery tray - 1.2lbs

SE exhaust & cat - 41.0lbs

sound deadening - 29lbs

spare tire & wheel - 28.0lbs

firewall mat - 18.8lbs

sunroof glass - 11.5lbs

foam layer on dashboard - 5lbs

Total of pounds lost - 377.9

did you remove the dash and unnecessary ish inside?

sunroof glass? your 23lbs lighter than this list with extra 11.5lbs of glass? and without the 19lbs of ABS unit/bracket?

but hey scales are open saturdays, go to a garbage dump, scrap metal recyler, transport truck scales,

still skeptical - I have loved my 240 longer then most members have had a license (1999)

another great post

I’m with Darian on this one… I’ve stripped a lot of s-chassis’s… and I’ve never ever come close getting the amount of weight out that you have. I would guess that the whole sound deadening weighed about 20-25 pounds. GRANTED… I never weighed it. I could be off. That far off? nah.

This is not a good project to take on unless you are running a pure track car. Even then, some things are a bit extreme (no wipers) for the nominal gains. It will murder your resale value and make your car very illegal / an easy target. I wouldn’t go that far with a street car, but it is not my car to make that decision. Just think about those things before you think abou ripping a car apart to get around 300lbs in savings (hp equivalent is around 30) when you can do that legally by adding a few more lbs of boost (more $$$$ but legal.)

i agree. im stripped out 4 s13’s now and there is no way it added up to everything you named. Even with the sound barrer stuff. i think your scale is busted

I personally don’t care about whether people believe me or not, doesn’t really make sense to me to lie about it. I removed 100% of the sound deadening, it rang in at around 65lbs I think. I’ll never sell this car, or consider selling it. It’s too clean, it performs great, and it’s paid for.

i only did the rear half of my car’s sound deadning, it was probably 15-20lbs. In a plastic bag. I would imagine if you did the entire car, that 50-65 lbs isn’t unrealistic.

A stock s13 hatch weighs (2700)2699lbs if i remember correctly. from what ur saying uv got her down to 2300…pretty good,did u remember to add back in the weight of ur bigger wheels n tires,etc. just go to a truck scale and get a proper final weight man and make a note of ur fuel level too at that time…

I didn’t calculate any weight differences in parts used/swapped in i.e. the wheels/tires, header/exhaust. Most ppl say they stripped down their 240 and didn’t get the same amount of weight but left it still streetable. The main weight reducers were the sound deadening material (100% of it) including all of the material next to the firewall, the electric motors from both wiper assemblies, cruise control and antenna, the A/C parts, the entire SUPER HICAS (again a few pounds added back in the form of a lock bar)

I’ll put up some more pics soon, but anyone know the closest truck scale to Whitby?? I’m curious to see what it weighs in at

if someone wants to do more weight reduction go to the gym you can lost 15 pounds ez LOOOOOOOL jk this is agreat thread :slight_smile:

lol

Update

Added:

HSD Coilovers
Progress Front and Rear Sway Bars
Jim Wolff Technology Cam Shafts and Cam Gears
Cusco Tension Rods

P.S. Admin could you move this thread to the Project Build section?