The Weight Reduction Thread

http://www.mysportscar.com/features/project240/weightsavings/index.htm

This link is a guide to removing up to 321 lbs off your 240sx, with each parts’ weight, all of which should NOT cost you a dime (maybe a little comfort…).

Other weight reduction ideas that WILL cost you are:

• Lightweight seats, or removing passenger seat
  • Lightweight flywheel, will save around 9-14 lbs.
  • Lightweight driveshaft, such as from enjukuracing.com
  • Carbon Fibre hood, hatch/trunklid, fenders etc.
  • Lighter exhaust system & muffler, even titanium
  • Light wheels
  • Lighter intake system w/ cone instead of airbox (resonator gone too)
  • Lightweight bumpers and/or a carefully selected body kit

Please feel free to add, and sticky this if at all possible! Cheers guys!

You’re only going to see so much performance from all that junk gone.

I’m happy with the lack of A/C system (good for 30lb) and rear seats
which I normally take out for track events.

If you have a daily driver, and want some creature comfort, probablly not
the best thing to do.

Just sticky it for the hardcore, c’mon! :slight_smile:

It’s good info…

If you want to lose some decent weight and retain some “creature comforts” as G says, for a street car: remove the factory sound deadening (~42lbs.) and replace it with a suitable modern sound deadening. I used B-Quiet on the floor of my car, covered the entire floor and it weighed in at ~22lbs. That’s ~20lbs. weight loss, and better sound deadening to boot. :wink:

after all that work and money you could have turned the boost up 2psi and called it a day.

Andrew.

There are other reasons by which to alleiviate weight… you of all people should know this…

There are other reasons by which to alleiviate weight… you of all people should know this…[/quote]

Yeah I know…I was just being arogant.

IMO on a car driven on the street this isn’t all needed. Try and move some weight to the back by moving the battery and maybe a lightened hood to try and achieve nuetral handeling on the 240. But other then that, really this all isn’t needed.

Gutting your car etc is a pain and makes your car nice and noisy inside. If you drive on the street, have a catback and like to listen to your radio. I wouldn’t do this.

Andrew.

There are other reasons by which to alleiviate weight… you of all people should know this…[/quote]

other ways to do it to…now if my ass would drop 100 lbs then that would be great…

6’ 265 lbs…gotta love growing up workin the fields and playing football…

Yeah I know…I was just being arogant.

IMO on a car driven on the street this isn’t all needed. Try and move some weight to the back by moving the battery and maybe a lightened hood to try and achieve nuetral handeling on the 240. But other then that, really this all isn’t needed.

Gutting your car etc is a pain and makes your car nice and noisy inside. If you drive on the street, have a catback and like to listen to your radio. I wouldn’t do this.

Andrew.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure this isn’t for those of light heart… It’s just a helpful FAQ

Ditch your passenger and drop a large loaf. That is good for a few pounds.

Yeah, apparently sound deadening is a big one…

I think it might be worth 20lbs to have a gutted car with “good” sound deadening depending on your intentions.

Yeah, apparently sound deadening is a big one…

I think it might be worth 20lbs to have a gutted car with “good” sound deadening depending on your intentions.[/quote]

Well it’s great if you’re willing to make the effort to lighten your car, but don’t want to drive a tin can. No sound deadening can be quite loud, and while some can tolerate it, others cannot. So it’s a happy medium in that you’re losing weight AND improving sound deadening. That old tar crap that came on our cars from the factory is trash.

How much does this weight reduction affect the overall weight distribution of the car? Say, i was going to strip almost everything from the car, how do you maintain the same or close to the 50/50 weight. I am guessing you just use weights to even it out?

Or you can gut your car, and buy a nice stereo with a subwoofer and crank the mofo to drown out road noise.

Personally I have stripped all the stock sound deadening and run only seats, dash, door panels, and center console on the interior… Its loud as hell and living in a gravel driveway I need my carpet, so I put that back in

My Dads been pissed off ever since I gutted it so I just put the panels back in with the snap fasteners to make him happy for now.

I am going to buy some sound deadening and redo the whole car to be
quiet as a lexus, and I will be able to do this without increasing the weight
of the car since I have taken out all the stock deadening.

Stripping your car to this level is stupid unless you’re really hardcore like
bob.

Since when have you made me the posterboy for hardcore…

Just recently, I removed the following:

Air Conditioning

• compressor (15lb)
  • bracket (5lb)
  • lines (~1lb)
  • belt and idler pulley (~2lb)
  • condenser (5lb)

ABS

• actuator (20lb)
  • bracket (5lb)

Total weight reduced 50lb (give or take a few lb).

I really didn’t need to remove the ABS unit but I had to take it out to
remove the A/C lines that led into the firewall. My A/C was bone dry
and I didn’t really use it or need it (and I wasn’t going to pay to get it
refilled/converted).

50lb is a lot of weight and that much to be reduced from the front end
should provide for some interesting handling changes. :dunno:

Also Lexan windows for the truly hardcore.

^^^^
I’m building a track car, where could I get a lexan window to replace the rear hatch? I don’t really know where to start looking for something like that.
I know that I can’t get a safety with that so I will end up having two hatches for when I want to take it on the street and one for the track…

anyone?

So this all begs the question…

…Who has the most anorexic 240?

all that sound deadening stuck onto car, is it really 20lbs ? i mean i pealed some of it all and it hardly weighs anything, are you guys sure its 20lbs ? i run no hatch panels, no upper rear part of the seat, no plastic anywhere, carpet, bottom of back seat, doorskins, center console, dash. i removed my ac, extra brackets where i could find in the interior, random shit under the hood, and it feels very little bit of a difference, how much is SR lighter than a KA by, both with tranny