Budget Drift?

Ok, so i have about 1500$, which obviously isn’t enuff to get a sr into my car, i m stock with eibach springs from a while back. I just wanted to know what could be done to the car, so that i could atleast go to the track and learn how to drift and screw around. Because i m pretty sure with the stock KA i wouldn’t really be having all that much fun. Any ideas. like a rear sway and struts or something, or maybe power upgrades ?

id say the following

track fees ($70 per event at least)
tires/rims (even if you found garbage tires outback, mounting them on still costs 10/tire)
maintanence

save the rest and then do up your suspension.

Lol, with a 1500$ budget meaning car wise, i have more flow to cover for the track and tires and all that, i got a pair of winter rims that will work nicely for the track. And well maintenence i got covered. I just saying what would be needed to have some enjoyment at the track, cuz i obviusly don’t have the same power as you sr’d guys.

You can have shit loads of fun with a stock ka. You don’t need an SR to learn with. Most of the best drivers learned with underpowered cars. Always work on suspension and chassis before you add power.

Andrew.

get spare terdrops for very cheap

get used jdm coilovers

and get a more supportive seat

spend the rest on oil gas and tires and events

with a stock ka you wont have fun?

you’ll have the most fun because you can push the motor all day.

you don’t need power to have fun (unless you’ve hit your limit)

when you can do 3rd gear runs easily all day long then its time to get an SR

if you can’t then keep attending track events.

seat time > all

edit: shit, ive been beat.

and a vlsd or a welded diff
Mael

vlsd, lowering springs, good running motor, make sure everything is good like timing spark plugs, cap and rotor all that stuff, buy like 8 teardrop rims, put 15 inch tires on all of them, come to the track.

dont start off clutch kicking as stock ka isnt a motor to do it with, read up on tehcnique, brake drift and feint drift techniques combined together to create dynamic drifting abilities is key to learning

You will have fun with a stock KA…thats what i had when i went to the track…i say lower the car so there not alot of body roll…strut bars front and rear…to stifen it up a bit and make sure your LSD is in good working condition… and everythings going to hold together…you will have a blast.

before you drift make sure you get a spare set of wheels/tires and make sure the car is running good and in good structural shape before you start pushing its limits.

with that done you could technically drift on a track car. obviously not as good as a car thats been modified but…

honestly your first mods should be brakes and coil-overs before anything else.

ka is more thenn enough to hav fun at the track. i say mak sure all of ur control arms are in good conditon and all of ur suspension parts are in good codtiton also.

ka is a good motor to work with, like andrew mention, majority of the best drivers run underpower car.
just run some coilover, good brakes, and good tires upfront.

excellent, my car is already lowered, i was thinking of get struts, doing the maintenance and hitting up the track, by the way this is the winter beater type car, the chasis isn’t of the greatest condition, hence the struts, will this be a hazard or dangerous?

check his sig its a 1992 he won’t need a VLSD…

I recomend a Hicas sway rear, a master bushing kit (for that new car feeling), S14 tierod/ends (much beefier), 4-6 spare rims 15"s are fine (I have a spare set for sale with tires), and maybe some KYB AGX to compliment the eibachs…

brakes/susp/wheels-tires is the best starting points, as they will help your skill level improve vs. having more power than is neccessary.

Define “chassis isn’t the greatest condition” …

Do you mean you have a rotten S13? Because if so, don’t take it on the track. Most of those shitheap cars aren’t just rusty. I’d be willing to bet all the hardlines are suspect (brakes and fuel) strut towers are probably weak, and I’m sure the torque boxes and most of the subframe mounting points are toast. Not including coked rubber lines for all vacuum/fuel/coolant. Your car is about to get hotter than it ever has before, and a lot of those lines are likely to swell and burst.

And it’s already lowered, but you want to change struts. Sounds like either cut springs and dead shocks, or shitty lowering springs and dead shocks.

It may take it once or twice, and it may not. It’s not uncommon for stock S14s to tweak the frame on the track. And that’s unrusty.

The $300 towbill home will give you something to think about too.

If you want to take your car to the track once to do some serious damage to it, you can try. But honestly, most places will want to inspect your car first.

If you’re being honest, and the chassis is just a bit beaten up, then I apologize. In my experience, most S13s are in much worse condition than their owners seem to be aware of.

Then they wonder why the whole car buckles when they hit a curb.

Honestly, just go out to the track and you will learn what your car needs. Every car and driver is different. Once you learn how your car handles you will appreciate and understand how any modifications effect your car on a personal level.
Nothing beats seat/track time.

As far as the KA, I would rather have a reliable underpowered engine than one with tons of power but might not get you home after a day at the track.

Amen !!! slidedogg … wat he sed…

Ye, its not rusted to shit, just a little beaten up, thanks for the advice guys.

Are your eibachs on stock struts? You will blow them very very fast like that. Get new struts that can take having lowering springs on them. If you are running the sportlines, I heard that there aren’t that many struts that can take it. Take care of suspension first. Strut tower bars are also very cheap and easy to install.