newb to hit the track!

Well looking to hit the track this year and wondering if any of you have any thoughts with lapping/drifting completely stock, lol.

Anyone here currently doing it?

My KA has pretty high mileage (300+) and will swap an SR when she goes. However, I’ve searched the forums and the general consensus is to upgrade the suspension before going under the hood. Will wait till she blows…:slight_smile:

I guess what I’m asking is if anyones had major issues tracking stock. Will be upgrading the kouki over the winter and just wanting it to pull though till then. Next summer will be better but can’t miss out on tracking this year!

On another note, tracking s13/14’s. Is there a big difference in handling/feel?

Thanks!

It’s doable! Just ask Mike-240sx. haha

Only issue we had was a leak on one of the front tires, It popped under heavy understeer… that’s about it as far as I know.

^^Thanks Santi, YES MIKE! seen the videos.

let me know how it turned out.

as long as your car is in good and safe condition go for it man!! You will have lots of fun. You may want to think about getting some coilovers as a first mod if you plan on doing this often… you will see large improvments

As long as your car has been properly maintained, ie, tune up, oils changed, no messed up ball joints or bushings. Your good to go. I know a few guys that track there stock ka’s and no problems, including myself. Coil overs would be the first modification on my list, if i were you.

Stock is the only way to learn…

learn from scratch and do your mods one at a time, you will really be able to appreciate what each one does, and if it meets your needs in the right way.

but yeah start with safety issues, then move to suspension…

THanks guys!

Briggs, you killed it in the Shanny vid. Gyani, Theo good points.
Exactly why I’d preferred to buy stock as opposed to modded to the sky. I’d really like to work on my own car and appreciate each step.

Doing my safety/emissions tomorrow…:slight_smile:

I tracked on stock suspension, lowering springs and hopefully going to try out coilovers and adjustable multilink this year. Even when street driving, i can appreciate my new suspension so much more than my stock and lowering springs because i had the experience of tracking on them.

Do whatever you want, but just keep in mind learning how your car reacts to your inputs and how you react to that is easiest with stock suspension .

I think its unsafe for me to track because everytime I brake, the alignment changes, and the steering wheel turns a bit to the right, something flexing down there. Most likely done TC rod bushings and control arm balljoints. It likes to wander lanes under load…clutch is being fuckey, won’t last 3 laps hard shifting. Btw do they let you on the track if you drip small amounts of oil?

I gotta fix this shit before I even consider tracking lol.

big brakes…+quality tires

I warped so many rotors in my 1st 2 years in a S13, that I said FCK this and went Z32…

I like late braking and hitting it heavy… Stock brakes are adequate, for commuting

S13/S14 differences…

teh S13 (to me) felt closer to the edge all the time, easier to toss and grab an angle, the S14 feels better planted to me, but still tossable, with a little more input and influence

I like this thread. +1 For sure.

Yes, upgrade one thing at a time. That way you can appreciate everything. I just swapped all kinds of shit over the winter. Went from driving my lifted truck for a couple month to my 240. Completely forgot how the 240 felt. Although she does feel way better!

I just realized how AWESOME my car feels compared to a stock 240 last week when I drove one.

Take your time. Don’t rush the building.

I am in the same boat as you for tracking. 'Cept my car is far from stock.

I agree greatly with the whole don’t mod everything at once. You will never learn if you track with a fully modded car and just use that. Many guys on here started on the track OEM with KA and bodyroll and managed to put it sideways.

don’t drift with stock springs

Why not?

im gonna guess because of the high center of gravity in a non lowered car.

Has anyone flipped their car or damaged it by going off the road after a spinout?

Just curious at the frequency of track related damage, I know drifters hit walls and shit all the time judging from their ziptied bumpers lol.

But for grip driving…any input?

Shannonville had a drift accident with a flip. Dunnville I have heard of people running off into one of the buildings/hangar. Not a lot of serious accidents though.

How does responsibility work at the track? If you crash into someone, how does insurance come into hand?

I always wondered this for people who take their daily drivers to the track. Sorry for the noob questions, I just want to read up on everything before I actually go out to the track. I’ll do some research later, I have an exam in 45 minutes and I’m on SON lol.

All I got to say you will really enjoy it… and you can go crazy nuts not worrying about no cops cause its legit :wink:

I am staying NA KA with boltons until I fine tune my driving and car. All you need is better suspension and brakes to have plenty of fun against much more expensive cars. Stripping weight helps alot on track too. Good sticky wide tires and wheel combo and you’ve got a winner. You don’t need an SR, in fact you can make your car faster than the next guy with an SR with good suspension/brakes/tires.

Good luck.

Insurance covers nothing at track, and i highly advise you to take plates off and not inform the insurance of anything and cover yourself. People that track their cars get dropped in a millisecond. As far as going off, all you gotta remember is to keep your steering wheel straight and nothing will happen to your car.

If you crash into someone, basically you cover yourself, with your own money not insurance. Its one of those risk everyone has to take when they go to the track.