Building a mud truck..

I won’t be fast… but I’ll never get stuck… they’re 6’ tall and 2’ wide and getting mounted on 5 ton military axles… more to come.

Totally unnecessary lol

if i had a dollar for everytime ive heard that…

Lol, gas mileage.

That is fantastic

'merica

Try not to run over any Hondas in front of cops this time.

In for progress pics. :tup:

Let me know if you want to get stuck.

:tup:

damm how much do they weigh

Hey sherm, you need a new line… You’ve used that in every post so far… yes, i backed into/onto a civic, 10 years ago… Not as epic as it sounds… GOT IT :wink: (and if i can find a doner ill run one over with these)

As far as the weight, it took 4 of us to stand them up and roll them off that truck an into the storage trailer… (kinda sketchy)

Progress is on hold for a week, I have a choice between 5 ton rockwell axles (6.44:1 gears, pretty bullet proof) or Clark 20 ton planetary axles (14.6:1 gears, pretty much bomb proof, but parts are very pricey) Im also tryin to figure out how to lower it for transport. The Gooseneck trailer im using is about 2’ off the ground, but these tires are 6’ tall. So that leaves me 5’6" for suspension and the hieght of the cab before I start hitting trees, powerlines and bridges. I worked out a pretty simple 4 link air bag setup that could basicly set the cab on the tires but i need to get the truck on the lift with the tires under it to see what im really looking at…

For the record, i just got this truck and its on 39.5" boggers… Then we went out for some beers… and this shit happened… oh boy its gonna be fun!

I know for monster trucks at the arena they used an alternate set of rims/tires to get them in the door.

I doubt that is an easy task for you to change rims just for transport.

How much torque to spin dem bitches?

yeah, the small tires are called roll arounds. the 5 ton axles have a 10 lug pattern like any Large truck wheel ( semi, city bus etc… ) pretty easy to get, BUT would you wanna wake all hungover on a sunday morning and take those big SOB’s off so we could load it back on a trailer… yeah, exactly, Im gonna do everything in my power to mount these once…

Doesnt take much torque… its all in the gear reduction (transfercase 4.3:1 then to the axles, 6.44:1… or 14.6:1 <-- a smart car could turn them with those gears). Im running a Dodge 360 with a cam for now, But theres a small pile of cummins 12v’s at the shop and one of them is goin in as soon as i get a better transmission.

you need to put plates on this and take it around town. please. ill be following this one.

:bigtup:

If youre doing mud id stay with the rocks idea youll need some wheel speed ive seen other builds with planetary axles and they usually top out around 40mph and thats with the motor screaming. But it can all change idk what the specifics are with the rig.

What kind of truck is it btw? Some kind of buggy or an actual truck??

91 Dodge ram 2500, 5.9 gas 3 spd, soon to be 5.9 Cummins 4/5speed.

Just to give you some perspective…This guy has the same tires and axles i do…