built 20, or stock 26?

ok, what would be cheaper for me to do? build up my rb20 to about 350 hp, and lightweight flywheel/driveshaft/6 puck clutch, aem ems, dyno tune, etc, etc. or just drop in an rb26 and drive away? from what i’ve been figuring out, both would cost me about 10k to do properly. just wondering which one would be better? also, i hate how un-torquey the 20 is.

If you use smaller diameter piping it’ll increase the torque no?

I’d just do the RB25DET Chris.

More reliable and way cheaper than a built RB20DET and way cheaper and reliable than a 26. Those things are a pain in my ass.

Seriously, do some research, 25 is the way to go man.

my understanding was that you needed the highest flowing pipe possible for a turbo application.

Oh, youre not Chris…ooops.

Also, why do you not return PM’s?

Option # 1 is cheaper, option #2 is better but I would never trust a bone stock Rb26 because if the crank collar issue.

Built and stroked RB20DET, best of both worlds. You can overbore the shit out of the block and the piston walls will still be much thicker than the 26. You can pick up a 2.2L stroker kit for about $1500-2000, or use the RB26 crank to pick up some displacement. Also with head work the motor will rev higher than a RB26, plus with the right turbo you could easily make over 500hp. But since all you want is 350hp, go forged or OEM rebuild and just get a bigger turbo. The stock internals can handle 350hp RELIABLY if you tune it properly (running her a little rich).

Or just buy a 25 and turn the boost up to 14psi and spend half of everything.

High revving n/a build!

Do it!!!

Neo RB25.

Pretty sure my old Neo powered, ghetto rigged, unreasonably cheap s13 was faster than my GTR that has lots of money in mods. The current owner was embarassing modded S4’s and big turbo VWs last week… those motors are ridiculously awesome.

dam, you gotts to post some recent pics up of that car. I miss it lol

i’d like a neo, but the wiring would be a nightmare. the 25 is just plug and play with the 20’s harness i think. the cheapest option i think for the 20, would be to throw in a 26 crank in the bottom end. i was thinking of getting that turbo kit from varun with the dyno tune included, that should get me to 350 hp no problem.

i think.

Stay with the 20.

Fuck 26’s. Over rated, they only have that status because, well it is the “26” rolls eyes

The best long block of the RB series is the 20. Everyone knows. Why not get an RB30 bottom end? You say you want torque. lol. Cheap too.

Honestly. Bolt on shit for the 20’s can bring on some serious power with a tune and never opening the motor.

All my plans are is a set of cams, turbo, injectors and ems. Along with better i/c piping and exhaust. My goal is 350-400. Easily attainable.

I had plans for the 25 Neo. But the price on the 20, along with what was included…no way I could let it pass.

Why do you keep ignoring a regular 25??? Way more potential than a 20 and practically the same price. Dont need a NEO to make power.

10k budget are u serious?

for that much hands down id go with a 2jz setup with a single turbo.

26 is to expensive to fuckup , and rb20 is basically a sr.

Not ignoring a Non NEO 25 at all.

Just stating my plans. Is that not okay with you or something?

Really? how so? They share displacement?

COMPLETELY different motors.

Fuck dude, a 121 out of a 84 s-10…is that the same motor then?

educate, then state your case.

That had to be the most retarded statement in this thread.

he prolly meant because they put down about the same amount of power, but regardless, the budget is over a two year period, maybe 3 if things doin’t go as planned. the 25 can make some decent power, but it has a higher compression than the 20 no? so then would it still be as boost friendly? and no 2jz, i’m sticking rb.

I say build up the 20, The 20 doesnt have a very good head. So you build up the head on it, New cams and shafts lifters ext… Bore out the motor to a 2.2L slap a Gt30 and get a good tune, New injectors and ext… Lots of work but youll run good power and youll spend maybe 8k on that if not less.

Rb20 is the way to go. Much more reliable then the 26

what are u building it for ? street ? drag ? circuit? drift?