Busted Bolt

Okay so this weekend I went to take my car out on saturday, and toss some winter tires on it. Jacked up the car to toss on the new tires, and to my dismay, one of the bolts on my subframe is busted right off. Now I’m lazy and have a lot of work to do with school so I need to know what I’m gonna have to do to fix this. Is this just a bushing that needs to be pulled out or am I going to have to drop the whole subframe no matter what…

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid200/p189ec12a258524a4a96591d200deff4d/f060604b.jpg

I circled the bolt thats busted off. It snapped right below the threads, and from the way its rusted, has been busted for a while. This probably explains the mad wheel hop I’m getting.

uh oh …That is not good at all. I know there was a guy on freshalloy that did the same thing and he ended up just welding a peice of the bolt back on. Ill try to find the page.

This is why you should always use an impact, cause there is usually less chance of snapping a bolt.

I’ve never undone that bolt in my life…

So either it fell off, or the previous owner did that.

I have a feeling I’m rather fucked to say the least, so I’m gonna take it to Sumarus and see if they have any advice. Other than the dealer, I’m sure if anyone in the city has seen this before, it’s them.

I remember the thread you are talking about. There is no easy fix. But that thread will give the best options.

Someone doesn’t use impacts enough…

I see where you coming from, but your better of getting the bolt moving by hand first if it’s rusted. If it breaks, chances are it was going to break with or without an impact.

I see where you coming from, but your better of getting the bolt moving by hand first if it’s rusted. If it breaks, chances are it was going to break with or without an impact.[/quote]
Breaker bars put alot of sideways strain on the bolt, an impact only put rotating force on a bolt. I usually if something is stuck i will try the impact first then use the breaker bar.

IMO

I remember the thread you are talking about. There is no easy fix. But that thread will give the best options.[/quote]
Here we are. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB27&Number=67864674&Forum=UBB27&Words=subframe%20bolt&Match=And&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=67863461&Search=true#Post67864674

It appears I am fucked. This might be why the car was sold, but if it was, how did erickson nissan miss it in the inspection?

Looks like I am dropping the subframe no matter what I do.

With school going on, looks like the car is off to sumarus, for some welding fun.

Oh well they can do the dirty work, and put the subframe spacers in, downpipe, and do my tranny fluid change. Hopefully my credit card can handle it.

can’t you just use a tap to try to put more threads on the bolt?

Busted it too far down to do that. I could maybe get two turns of a tap on that.

For now I just tossed in the one subframe spacer, to put some pressure on it. I have a feeling it isn’t going anywhere, as I’m positive I drove it like this for a while…

Oddly enough, all the wheel hop is gone with the one spacer. If I just had a way to hold that spacer in I’d be set.

I’m gonna drop by sumarus tomorrow and see what they say. I’ll let you guys know.

They have to pull the subframe, and weld in a new peice of chasis, with the bolt already in it.

Just to you know, s13 guys have a straight bolt, s14 guys have a tapered bolt that you can’t pull out or straight bolt.

Fucking s14’s.

I see where you coming from, but your better of getting the bolt moving by hand first if it’s rusted. If it breaks, chances are it was going to break with or without an impact.[/quote]
Breaker bars put alot of sideways strain on the bolt, an impact only put rotating force on a bolt. I usually if something is stuck i will try the impact first then use the breaker bar.

IMO[/quote]

With an impact you have NO idea if the bolt is going to break or not. The impact will just keep going till it either comes out or snaps, you can’t feel the tension. If you try it by hand FIRST, then you can feel what kind of resistance your dealing with. That way at least if you are able to determine it’s going to break, you can try and take different approaches thus bettering your success of it coming out in one piece whether it’s be heat, penetrating spray, whatever the method.

Well its good as new now. Well not as good as new, but functional. Functional after a lot of welding. A lot.
:cry