Buying a car out of state??

Anybody ever do it? I’m curious on how the taxes work out. It would be from a dealership in VA. Do I pay their taxes or bring it back and pay ours? Thanks guys.

I think you pay PA’s when you register it here in state. You have to have a bill of sale showing what you pay.

i bought both of my last 2 vehicles out of state. i bought my integra from va, you pay our taxes either there at the dealer or you can pay for it here in pa once its registered. either way you pay our taxes. and yes you have to bring some thing showing what the total cost of the vehicle was.

yess… you have to pay our taxes wherever you get the car done, as funny as it sounds I purchased a Car in philly where it was 6% compared to our 7% sales tax, my title was rejected over 1%.

i bought my car from oh and when i got back and i went to register it and get plates i paid the tax then.

why would that be funny??? where ever you got whatever ‘done’ they clearly didn’t check your ID to realize that you are allegheny county which is how sales tax is broken up in our state… what is funny is that you were suprised about the outcome!

OP if it’s a new car at a dealer, they can roll the taxes into the cost of the car for financing, but you ahve to take an extra step, otherwise you’ll go buy it and start making payments then come back home to wherever and all of a sudden have to pay a few thousand for sales tax… so I’d look into it more than not if it’s a high dollar car. Otherwise, you simply buy the car and bring it home, you have a certian amount of time to pass local state inspection and to register it, at that time, you’ll pay sales tax on the car.

in florida here, we charge whatever states sales tax rate for the person buying it unless it’s more than florida’s 6% and issue a sales tax exemption form that you take back with you to your state so you don’t have to pay the tax in your state when you register it. like sonny said, it allows you to roll the taxes into the financing as well.

Thats what i’d want to do. So I wouldn’t have to shell out the cash for it here. Would rather have it in the loan.

First of all you will have to take this to you local notary along with valid driving license and insurance proof which will convert your out of state title to your state. Then you can proceed to pay the taxes, and then next step is waiting for plates and stickers.

It seems to be a very informative post and will help people who trying to buy a vehicle out off state it seems that there are diffrent set off rules for diffrent states for transfering the vehicle where in some states we do have to pay the taxes at both ends while in some you will have to pay them where you intend to get it registered.