buying a imported car from canada

Sooo after a little convicing i decided i wanted to buy a import car for a second summer car. However i want to get a RH drive car from canada ( looking to get a early 90’s skyline but i might be willing to settle for a silvia or 180sx) . I know theres alot involved to not only get them over here but also to get them on the road.
Does anyone know anything about doing this? i know it wouldnt pass inspection at a normal place but i got ppl for that issue so it doesnt bother me. if i some how got it registered and insured could i just slap the stickers on and drive it over or would i have to go through customs any help would be awsome

there is a skyline on CL seems like a good deal.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/1276256241.html

i think this has been talked about 950440944 times…i think it is virtually impossible to get that car on the road here

its alright but im looking for like a 90-95 coupe idealy i would want a 99 vspec but thats not gunna happen haha

YOU CANNOT IMPORT A SKYLINE LEGALLY INTO THE UNITED STATES UNTIL 2014.

well thanks for that lil bit of info newman. would it be possible to get a car that was sold in the US like a 240sx or something i know skylines were never sold in the US

Yes. I’m not positive what you actually need to do to get it federalized.

Or you can weld in a RHD firewall. I did it to a 240 a few years ago.

thanks so i guess i gotta settle for a silvia for driving aroundtill 2014 just wanna know wat the legal junk will have to be

for an S15 u would have to, and probably an s14 i guess…
you should still be able to get an s13 tho
you would have to pay taxes and shit, look it up on google, i believe the dmv can tell u everything

ya i just looked on the homeland security website theres alot involved with this

correct.

nah it’s super easy

this guy.

:roflpicard: :clap:

seriousness folks haha

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2963211

Yep.

Suuppper easy.

abiding the law is over-rated.

secondly, no point in buying a rhd silvia or 180sx, just convert a built 240sx as there is no difference.

with respect to a skyline, as i have told newman, register and insure it in Canada and drive it there… it’s massively simple.

i’ve had a friend do with with an eclipse, the reverse though, since we couldnt get them in Canada before.

registered out of a US address and driven in Canada.

it’s as simple as this, if you were a student up here or working lengthy campaigns up here you would need a car. so you buy and register with your US license.

I tried to do the reverse myself since you cant import an Elise into Canada. Progressive had no issue insuring me on an E46 M3 or an Elise with my Canadian license, i got quotes and all… just be honest with your insurance company. there should be no issue.

you can register a car in a different country if you dont live there? i was thinking have the dealer up there slap some plates on it and drive it to my house then register it here

can you drive a car with dealer plates into another country?

with proof youre a dealer and a good reason why you are coming in with it.

failure to export/import is quite a hefty fine.