JDM Cars in NYS

Hello everyone.

I live in NYS and I am looking for a new car. I found few nice cars in Canada but I am not sure if I can bring them over the border so I end up on this forum with hopes some of you can help me :slight_smile:

Here’s my questions:
I’ve been looking at some nice ass Skylines in Toronto, but I’ve heard rumors that these cars are illegal on NYS roads. Is this true? Here’s the vin number of the car i was looking at:
VIN Number HCR32-292553
(http://www.tigerautoparts.com/jdm-vehicles/nissan-skyline-gts-t-1995.html)

My other question is:
How can I bring any of these (http://www.tigerautoparts.com/catalog/category/view/limit/all/id/339/) cars over the border? How much are the fees and all the paper work? Did any one of you ever brought a car from Canada (or Japan like these cars) into New York State or elsewhere in US? I’ve been in love with Jap. cars since I was born :slight_smile: I always wanted to own one of them but I don’t know if I can, since most (if not all) of them have the steering wheel on the right side of the car.

I would appreciate any answers. PS. I wasn’t sure where to place this topic, if it’s in wrong forum, please move it.

Thanks.

Its not worth the hassle and probably impossible in NYS. That stuff mainly happens in Florida. Just buy a usdm car and convert it. Besides a skyline, just about everything else has a us coutnerpart for the most part.

I remember seeing a post with a guy from Florida selling his US legal Skyline for cheap.

good luck

not gonna happen in NYS, sorry!

get an address in FL

go on zilvia, there are a ton of rhd 240’s and already registered skylines for sale on there

you can drive it as a racecar on the track…

But with this kind of post as post # 2… yikes

lol it was post #1. I thought he was spamming tigerautoparts.com. I’m still not convinced that he’s not.

Unless it’s 25 years old you’re better off looking for cars already registered in the states.

Lay off, he just wants to DRIFT. :eekdance:

lol I wasn’t spamming, I just wanted to know if any of these cars can be legally registered in NYS since they all have steering wheel on the right side.

I know that you can import cars from japan to canada as long as they are 15 years or older, i didn’t know that it has to be 25 for US. Shit,

It has nothing to do with the steering wheel and everything to do with Federal NHTA and EPA regulations.

continuing the trend of newbs in 09…

Oh sweet.

Hai guys lets start a forum project. Lets grab one of those Skylines, take the drive train out, and put it in an early BMW.

But we’ll never finish the project. :nerd:

It’s not legal in NYS in any way to get a skyline, but as mentioned above some people have them registered as RHD 240s. It’s a pretty illegal vin swap operation but I don’t think it’d really get you in any trouble.

Sure there are ways to do it illegally, but you then run the risk of getting caught. Many people get away with it, but you don’t want to be that guy who gets caught.
http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88189

Do you always talk about things you do not know?

Judging from his posts, it would appear that way.

its not legal at all? for any skyline ever? i was wondering how people were selling r33’s tht were registered in ny…

I’ve seen hundreds of Skylines in Canada, but not even one in US