Buying a motorcycle out of state...

Next week I plan on making a trip to NJ to pick up a bike that I’ve been looking at, I’ve spoke to the owner of the bike and it all checks out.

Long story short: I need to know what I need in order to buy this bike in NJ and trailer it back to NY. I’m paying cash, he’s going to sign the title over to me, and then what? Are there any weird laws or paperwork I need to be aware of before hand? I’m not riding it back so I don’t think I’ll need insurance at the time of purchase, correct?

You’ll need a title or whatever they use there and a bill of sale. You only need insurance to register it unless you have a lien on it or something

So it’s basically the same as NYS?

I wish NYS would redo their DMV page, it’s so unclear and hard to navigate lol.

Stats? what year? model? etc

Chris, I bought my 636 from Indiana last year. The process was just like any other vehicle registration. Bring the title, receipt, and proof of insurance (if you’re putting it on the road) and you’ll be all set. And what willy said, what is it?!?! Actually my buddy is looking at a bike in North Jersey. What kind of trailer are you using?

I’ll post up details once everything is all set, right now I’m just waiting on a phone call from the seller about what day he’s free next week.

things i hate right now… you.

Haha <3

Please tell me this is not a CBR600RR. I’ll go nuts if it’s the same one I’m thinking of. PM me if you want, I’ll lose sleep over this lol.

No no lol, I don’t have that kind of a budget.

LOL ok. Well anyways, if there’s any possibility that you can take a 2nd bike back my buddy might be interested. Could help shave some costs but only if that’s something you’re open to.

Back from Jersey?

just for piece of mind i would have the bill of sale notorized…

reason i say this is i was at the dmv the other day registering my audi and one of the clerks turned away someone who had purchased a vehicle from pennsylvania because she said that all out of state sales need to now have a notorized reciept unless they are from a dealer… not sure how much of that i would believe but just a heads up.

Hmm, I’ve read that actually about buying from Michigan, idk if it applies to NJ but I’ll have to call tomorrow on my lunch. How does one get something notorized?

go to a bank or look up a local notary to the public somewhere in jersey where you are buying the bike.

Ah okay, looks relatively easy enough to get done. Thanks for the heads up dude :tup:

<3

The title will have a spot on the back where it will ask for signature of notorizer if its needed. Definitely find out if that state requires it because NYS WILL deny you registration if it calls for it and it wasn’t. Sucks because then you gotta schedule the trip around a time where a notorizer is open.

notary.

Yeah he’s looking at a bike in North Jersey right now. He hasn’t committed to buying yet but if he does soon then that week would make sense to make the trip since he’s off as well.