buying a tv online?

Samsung was awesome when my TV freaked out…I think I made a thread.

Short of it is that the board fried…I called Samsung as the TV was less than 12mos old and they had the closest service center at my house to pick it up that afternoon and repaired it and brought it back to me 3 days later.

:tup:

[quote=“Zong,post:17,topic:36919"”]

Thanks Nikuk. So if I have any problems with the tv in the first year, can I just call Lifetime Service?

Also, I’m kind of worried about getting the TV and finding out the warranty is expired already (I bought my gf a phone from an ebay site and that was the problem). When does the warranty period start?

[/quote]

You call Samsung’s 800 number. they creat a “ticket number”, then fwd that to Lifetime service. Lifetime callls you with the appointment.

I PM’d Lifetime on the board here, they responded with an explanation of the process, then called me monday ~10am to set up an appt.
Based on the ticket, they bring the parts they suspect it would be, service on site.

Lifetime specifically needed the date of purchase (invoice date since ours was shipped from an online vendor) to give to samsung for warranty purposes.

So, I assume warranty term is from time of purchse. Samsung never asked where I got the set from… only asked for the serial number, name, phone # & address.

I LOVE my Sammy 50" … i hope i never have to the warranty

[quote=“BDR5oh,post:23,topic:36919"”]

I LOVE my Sammy 50" … i hope i never have to the warranty

[/quote]

i was surprised, it wasn’t that big a deal.

I was fucking livid though. 8day old tv.

Bringing this post back from the dead only because it contains some decent information.

I’m about to pull the trigger on a 46" LN46A860 online.

Through Amazon.com I do not see the option to add additional warranty coverage. Amazon.com says it is shipping from OneCall.com where the price of the set matches up on both websites. From OneCall.com directly, I can purchase a 5-year Misc. Electronics protection plan for $300. Free shipping from both sites.

The set has an 18-month manufacturer warranty.

Three questions:

1. Does the extended 5-year plan start AFTER the manf. warranty is over or just cover for 5 years from purchase?

2. For a $2,000 TV would you buy the $300 warranty to extend it 5-years? I’ll go direct through the OneCall.com website rather than Amazon since Amazon doesn’t offer the extra.

3. How does an online authorized dealer additional warranty work? Would they still go through the local manf. repair shop? (Lifetime Service)

I bought my 42" Sharp LCD from newegg and had it shipped. No problems at all.

Again I will say…You get what you pay for. So if you buy a shitty LCD from Target, expect a shitty picture.

The LN46A860 is one of the best TVs you can buy :slight_smile: Besides the new LED backlit one which costs $3,200+ which I didn’t feel was worth the extra cost. You could see the difference but it wasn’t a $1,000 difference to me…

Anyone have any input on my questions?

Any extended warranty I’ve seen starts coverage from the purchase day and is not tacked on from when the manufacturers warranty ends.

That’s what I figured. Any input on how they work? I’d assume you call the number and they refer you to the same repair shop that Samsung would use for local repair?

I plan on buying from a Samsung authorized dealer, so I’m assuming that I won’t have any issues/concerns with the extended warranty… ?

I’m always afraid of 3rd party extended warranties.

1. You’re betting that this independent company will be around for 5 years. How many people bought circuit city 5+ year warranties for good money in the last 1-2 years?

2. You’re betting that the set will make it through the manufacturers warranty period when the failure is likely to occur, but that it that it will fail in that period where electronics are generally very reliable because you got past a manufacturing defect but haven’t used it enough to wear something out.

I’ve had 3 extended warranties in my life, and only 2 I would say were good decisions.

1. My boat, Volvo-Penta was offering something called “2+4 warranty” which took the 2 years volvo gave you and added 4, giving you 6 years full coverage. I bought the boat last in the summer when the salesman really needed to move it so I got it thrown in for free. It was through Volvo so I knew they would be around.

2. My $1600 Samsung fridge. Samsung was new in the fridge business so I was a little worried. The warranty was only $150 extra for 5 years, and it was through Lowes who I doubt will be going anywhere. I’m 2+ years in and haven’t used it. I would still call this one a good buy though just because I didn’t have a reliability track record for Samsung and fridges to go on. OT… the fridge is amazing. It has dual evaporators so the stuff in your freezer doesn’t end up tasting like the stuff in your fridge.

3. My 51" Sony. Looking back it was stupid. I had a problem with the TV, inside the Sony warranty, so Sony covered it. It’s worked fine to this day and the extended Best Buy warranty expired about 2 years ago.

^
Thanks Jay, very good information from you, as usual! I will definitely give it some more thought.

With most Samsung TVs you get only 12-months, but the one I’m looking to buy has 18-months. I agree with what you said about failures on electronics happening within that first bit of time. I can’t recall the last time I had something fail after 2 years of ownership (besides car parts and hard drives)

I may just save my beans and just be ready to re-buy a newer model if it fails randomly after that 18 months! I’d probably end up with a better TV too. My last two TVs lasted at least 6 years without incident… it’s probably worth the risk to say “no” to the extra warranty.

I’m curious how other people feel about extended warranties on high end electronics. I’ll admit it’s a tough call for me and I’m really not sure if what I’ll do when my 51 eventually dies and I replace it.

The extended warranty I bought with my 61" Samsung, they use Lifetime Service as the defacto warranty/service place so nothing really changes after the 1 year warranty is up from the manufacturer.

It is a tough decision considering the price tag on the set. But, as you mentioned, most problems on the TV will probably happen before the year warranty is up.

I am leaning heavily towards just buying the set with 18-months of warranty and hoping for the best afterwards.

The whole Samsung line is pretty funny when you look at the 650 at $1500, 750 at $1800 and 850/60 at $2000. They all have the same exact picture. The 750 adds in DLNA for internet usage and the 850/60 adds in an extra 6 months of warranty and the whole TV is half as thick.

If I didn’t care for internet abilities to grab MP3 and play movies from my computer, I’d just buy the cheap 650 and be done with it. I wouldn’t even think about an extended warranty for a $1,500 set!

With the price reaching $2,000, thinking about it more… it’s only $500 for all the extras. Why would I want to pay $300 more? If I saved $100 for 18 months, if the TV dies I could easily replace it with an identical version or probably a better model for the same price.

If the TV cost me $3,000 though, like the 950 version with LED Backlighting… I’d definitely say “Toss in the extra warranty for $500” making it $3,500. Hell, if I’m that rich to pay for top of the line… I surely can afford to pay for the warranty too. Wait, if I’m that rich then I’d probably say “fuck it, if it fails in 18 months I’ll just dish out another three grand for a new one”

I’ve convinced myself to not even bother with the 5-year warranty… it has become a non-issue and doesn’t seem worth it.

My folks just got the 750. They were debating on going with the 55" 950 with LED backlighting but you don’t get much more for that much more $$. The picture is phenominal.

www.abesofmaine.com

I just found a coupon code for the 860 which puts it down to $1725 shipped from 6ave.com. :slight_smile: I have been debating 750 or 860 for a week now… I guess my decision has just been made!

:smiley: